BT demanding Youview box back

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all ,

We're well past the original contract.
Missus signed up for another contract, for which BT sent another box.

She then received a letter , stating we have 60 days to return the old box, or be charged £50.

I can't see how they can do this, but would appreciate more informed guidance on this.

Thanks in anticipation :)

Sponsored Links
Hello all ,

We're well past the original contract.
Missus signed up for another contract, for which BT sent another box.

She then received a letter , stating we have 60 days to return the old box, or be charged £50.

I can't see how they can do this, but would appreciate more informed guidance on this.

Thanks in anticipation :)

Probably like sky, you effectively rent the box "at no charge" I.e. built into monthly contract cost.

Perhaps they pay the £50 or whatever.

Perhaps they were stolen in a house break in.

Sponsored Links
Probably like sky, you effectively rent the box "at no charge" I.e. built into monthly contract cost.

IIRC, they were paid for one the duration of the contract so, if you left before the end of the contract, you did owe them the box back.
Which would logically mean that seeing out your contract mean that you didn't .....

Do you still have the old equipment?
Have they included return postal packaging?

This is normal practice, unless the contract states that the equipment is completely yours then it belongs to them and you are not allowed to dispose of it unless you have first contacted them and they agree to disposal or fail to collect when arranged.

So have you got it or have you disposed of it?
If the first then see about sending it back, if the latter then whoops! try asking around for someone thats got one.

Re the comments about seeing sky boxes for sale online, well they are not rented, sky equipment becomes the property of the customer to do with as they please.

Re the comments about seeing sky boxes for sale online, well they are not rented, sky equipment becomes the property of the customer to do with as they please.

That is only true for the older sky boxes.
The latest Q types are rented and remain the property of sky and have to be returned on cancellation.

You have to return the new box after this contract ends. Old box doesn't need returning.

I didn't connect to bt after multiple mess ups. So had to return router. I remember I had to Callt hem up and tell them i already returned it and maybe it's lost in the post. Never heard anything further.

This is gradually being introduced because the envirronment lobbey has been onto the ISP and media companies. The 50 quid fine is to create some revenue to pay for the return scheme.
This is the way of the world now - you get low cost service to start with and then they fine defaulters to make the profit - airlines, banks, councils (litter fines, parking), ISPs, etc etc

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back