BT Infinity Router

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi - my BT HomeHub 5 just died and BT are sending me a new one. In the meantime, I have reverted back to my HomeHub 3 which requires me to use my old OpenReach modem too.

This got me thinking - is there any reason why I shouldn't just continue to use my OpenReach modem and buy a new, more powerful router (I have areas of the house that the HomeHub doesn't reach).

Or will the old OpenReach modem cause problems/slow down speed?

Any views would be appreciated.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Openreach modem with an Ethernet router (not ADSL) would be fine. The modems are excellent TBH.

There are other VDSL routers available. I like Draytek Vigor 2860, but aimed at business installs.

If wifi coverage is an issue, don't p|ss with "stronger" routers, extend your wifi with a second Access Point.

I'll second Lectrician here, sound advice on both fronts. Of course, you could always use the replacement HH5 when it arrives, and add a second access point (or indeed an old router with DHCP disabled). Let us know if you need advice on this, it can often be a cheap (or even free less the cost of a cable) way of extending wireless coverage.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for this. To add a second wireless access point I would probably need to run cable up the exterior of the house unless I took up carpet and ran it up the stairs which I think might be a pain. Would I need any specific exterior-proof cable?

Also would devices jump between the two access points automatically depending on which is offering a stronger signal?

Thanks again.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back