BT Landline VOIP

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

Considering binning off Plusnet and going to BT as they can offer faster BB.

Has anyone got BT Full Fibre BB, where your landline phone plugs into the router?

Can you use a patch lead to connect the phone socket on the router to an extension socket so you can power up the sockets and plug in a distant phone?

I would disconnect the extension wiring from the NTE 5.

Sponsored Links
Hello

Has anyone got BT Full Fibre BB, where your landline phone plugs into the router?

Can you use a patch lead to connect the phone socket on the router to an extension socket so you can power up the sockets and plug in a distant phone?

I’d guess your service is fibre to the cabinet, in which case the max speed is determined by the distance from your house to the cabinet and the number of users on that line.

Different internet providers can set bandwidth limits and speeds, hence they can offer different speed options, but the high speed option is still restricted to your local infrastructure.

One note on pricing: the providers now seem to be offering cheap broadband, say £2.99 a month….but load the line rental instead which might be £22.99 a month.

plus net used to offer line saver - pre pay for a year or more, but they’ve stopped it so they can do the above.

Sponsored Links
Hello

As motorbiking has rightly pointed out Plusnet is a subsidiary of BT Group, peering off its network and resources.

FTTC and FTTP will give you theoretically same speeds, the difference may be how BT or plusnet throttle the higher end offerings. FTTC as you may be aware will always be governed by the copper pair from the cabinet to your house. In that respect i believe BT or 'Open-retch' should come clean here and not be allowed to call this superfast fibre, its BS.

If you are looking at FTTP which really is fibre to your house then it gets a bit more interesting as we have BT Digital Voice. I have FTTP but passed on this option as we are all stuck to our 5g phones already and have a wifi mesh which really covers most of our property for any-where for any-thing.

You can request you have your old copper line connected for voice calls.. more detail here

https://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.p...ver-the-bt-fttp-digital-voice-transition.html

To answer your question, yes you can.
Disconnect the pair from the incoming dropwire/lead-in from the back of the nte, then simply use a bt431a to bt431a lead to connect from your smarthub2 to any of your extensions or the nte and away you go.

Excellente!! Thanks, yorkie.

I was told by PN earlier this year that they would be allowed by BT to start selling FTTP packages in January, but it would appear that is not happening yet.

Service is indeed FTTC, and our package is a nominal 66, g'teed 40. We have had months of drop-outs, but what I will try is something like BT's Premium Whole House Wi-Fi 4 disc pack.

If that doesn't work, I will swap to BT and still employ the Whole House kit. Bt offer Full Fibre, either 100, 500 or 900 with VOIP for the phone.

According to an Openreach geezer who came to check my system earlier this year, copper is on borrowed time. So its probably time to bite the bullet.

We all have mobiles as a back up.

One thing I've been told is that BT's Smarthub 2 has DECT and Mesh built in, but I cant find out if this is correct. If they are, I'm wondering how these features work. We have all-DECT phones in the house.

I think the providers will have to supply a battery back up.

Securepark
I wrote an article about how I converted house phone system to voip (does not quite match you question).
I did not need extra power for the line (running a few phones and burglar alarm).

For keeping phone and router live during power cut I considered an alarm battery backup box - but did not get round to wiring it up (needs an additional dc-dc converter).

https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...hone-service-changes-to-digital-voice.577482/

Last edited:
Yes, thinking about it, it can't be too tricky to feed the router off such a set-up with a nice juicy Yuasa battery to take over when the power fails.

If we ever go for FTTP, I will ask the installation engineer about what solutions they have for power loss

Sponsored Links
Back