Help With BT Digital Voice......Grrrrrrrr!

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Has anybody got BT Digital Voice?

I ordered BB with phone from BT. When I ordered, the guy said he could not guarantee retention of our number, so I would retain the old copper line with our original number.

I had the FTTP installed today. They have not retained the copper line. I have interrogated the line and it is now connected to a different number, but it does not allow calls in or out.

Our original number displays the engaged tone when rung.

So we neither have the new number or the old number in service at the moment.

I rang BT and she confirmed we still have our original number attached to our account.

She told me our DECT handset will not connect to the router and will send out some new phones

Looking online, it says you can connect your existing phone if you wish, but they recommend the new digital phones.

Can anyone help getting us connected please?

Just to add, I tried connecting the phone socket on the router to my extension socket circuit (having disconnected from the outside world), and that does not work either

Sponsored Links
When I ordered, the guy said he could not guarantee retention of our number

This is absolutely nuts. You can port normal geographic phone numbers to other providers like Virgin or internet SIP providers like SIPGate but they can't transfer it internally? It's like they're not bothered about selling you a phone service.

You need to ring up and make a (polite) nuisance. If you're not wed to BT, ask if there's still chance for your number to be ported and consider moving your number to an online SIP service like SIPGate Basic.

Made a bit of nuisance. They said they would send two phones I could connect to the router with.

I'll see what happens.

But I can't understand why the DECT phones we have won't connect AFAIR, the Smarthub 2 is DECT enabled.

Sounds like an excuse from BT, tbh. We have our Gigaset DECT phone attached to our router using a phone jack to RJ11 adaptor (although we use SIPGate rather than BT) and it works fine, as does any other touchtone phone.

Sponsored Links
I'm thinking you have to register the DECT handset with the router, but I can't work out how.

Just made this complaint to a BT textbot who asked me to rate their service.

Very dangerous when you are getting more irate by the minute...

I have just moved to you from Plusnet and quite frankly, the way I feel right now, I'd like to go back. The frustration of poor internet with Plusnet has been replaced by poor service with you. When I ordered, I was told my phone service would stay on copper for now. When BB was installed, I discover that the copper was disconnected and the DV service was not activated. Ringing always takes ages to get through (not enough staff), I have been cut off on more than one occasion, your text and telephone service had flaws (unless you press 9 quickly, you are cut off and the text bot keeps asking you to enter the word ADVISOR) The advice given by you online is contradicted by staff on the phone. And finally, I cannot get an email address to complain to, but have to talk to a member of staff on the helpline where you wait forever to get connected (if you are not unlucky enough to get cut off).
Not a good start, is it?

Finally.

I spoke to someone at the call centre who tried to interrogate the router remotely but was blocked from doing so. He said this usually needs the router rebooting to get it working and he suggested this would get DV working.

I wasn't very hopeful, as the BB installer had rebooted it twice during installation and updates, but nevertheless, I tried.
The phone still didn't work.

The call centre suggested rebooting again, leaving it off for longer. I unplugged it for 5 mins then plugged back in.

Nothing. Checked in total 10 times and the line was still dead.

Before I raise an issue, the call centre said, just try it one more time.

Lo, the damn thing worked!

It's a DECT system with a base station and 3 additional phones that link to the base station and just have a wall wart that plugs in to charge them.

Just trying to work out how best to get the upstairs phone working now. It's another DECT phone exactly like the base station downstairs.

BT sell a Digital Voice Adaptor for 15 squid that plugs into a 13A socket. Their blurb says it enables phones to connect via a telephone socket, but doesn't explain how. I have asked BT to send a new digital-enabled phone, so I may use that upstairs instead.

Although, if we disable WiFi on the router (as we have a separate AX6600 Mesh system for WiFi) this may stop that phone from working.

Also a pain in the arse.....when phones are connected to the network via FTTP, you have to dial the STD, even if you are calling another number in the same area.

Sponsored Links
Back