BT 'master' socket -

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, i've recently moved to EE from virgin, so they had to re-activate my BT line.
Was told to wait in all day for Eng. to come they never showed up, turns out they just needed to switch the line back on at the exchange or something (not happy)
Anyway, I was going to ask the Eng. to move my one and only box (master) as it seems to have been just dumped on the window sill when new windows were put in.

Looking into it all I think I have very old drop wire - possibly FIG-o-8
From pole is solid black as it get to house its joined with a crimp thing to a twin grey wire that runs down the wall and into my window frame.

Also my box does not have a 2nd socket behind the faceplate which I have seen mentioned else where.

My question really is how can I extend this wire on the outside and what wire should I use. OR should/can I get BT or EE to do this for me without it costing me stupid money (have seen £200-£300 for moving Master socket)

To me, it is just cable?? but I'm sure I will got shot down for saying that :D

Yes I know one wire is out.........it fell out when I twisted the box ;)

Sponsored Links
That's an old, old master socket. The new ones (NTE5E) have a place from which you could run your own additional cabling.

Officially, only BT is allowed to work on the Master socket and network wiring. Wiring after that can be done by yourself.

It would need to be external phone cable.

Needs to be done by someone with some external phone cable and the knowledge & tools to do it.

I know, its only a bit of wire, how hard can it be?

Problem is they (BT/OpenReach) will charge a bundle if you do it and then it goes wrong.

Thats an old master socket! Does the white cable go anywhere or is it just cut off - perhaps the extensions were moved to the virgin master socket?

For what its worth BT quoted me £150 to move my master socket from halfway up a window frame and they quoted me a heck of a lot more if I moved it myself and they found out!

In the end a couple of years later my drop cable was faulty and the engineer had to run a new cable, at which point I drilled the holes and mounted the new master socket where I wanted it and ran the cable for him with some BT drop cable. This avoided me the charge and made the engineer happy as the work was done for him.

Hope it helps.

David.

The white cable is just cut off, it did used to run a few other sockets around the house.
I cut them as I never wanted a phone socket in every room :unsure: lol

I refuse to pay for it........because I'm a tight bas**** :LOL:

If I were to aquire some of that old cable could I just crimp the two ends, put it in a box, and then move the internal box and fix a new master box?

Besides me moving anything is that old master box and old cable likely to cause me to have slow speeds?

Sponsored Links
Links in this post may contain affiliate links for which DIYnot may be compensated.
No photo atm but it's nothing like that pic
Its more like someone has twisted the cables together and then wrapped it in tape lol

VA235.JPG

Complain of intermittant crackling on the line. They will change the old drop wire for new, as they are known to wear through and give crackle.

Its not even a bt socket, its a diy thing. Its a pigs ear. Agree with complaining of crackling, its a symptom of that old cable breaking down. Say its much worse in the rain as when the insulation breaks the copper is exposed to the elements and causes low insulation noise.

jj4091 - all those links are to new 5 wire cable.

my drop wire is two wire, and a lot thicker than one of those cables.
So i dont see how this would work

That's an old, old master socket. Officially, only BT is allowed to work on the Master socket and network wiring.

I don't think that's the case now, since BT had to drop the monopoly on telephone services; they formed OpenReach, now just one of the other contractors/providers such as virgin etc. for fibre optic etc.

Regards

I don't think that's the case now, since BT had to drop the monopoly on telephone services; they formed OpenReach,
It is still a breach of your contract with BT ( or other service provider ) to tamper or interfere with cables and equipment owned by OpenReach, a breach which can ( and has ) resulted in termination of the contract and loss of telephone service,

Hi, i'm new on this forum, good luck with your phone wiring and remember to leave the bell circuit wire off (terminal number 3) if you want to speed your internet connection up.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back