Bubbles causing me panic. Help please

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am applying a top coat to my MDF bookcase. This has had 2 coats of MDF primer.
C2966A41-6E98-4521-B1E8-D7A189BEAC48.jpeg

I have a Valspar Satin mixed colour for my top coat. When I apply this with a foam roller (exact approach I used for 2 coats of the primer), I am getting lots of small bubbles.

7CE066B2-556F-4260-9D48-47257D22C60B.jpeg

Applying with brush doesn’t cause this issue.

I don’t want to go any further until I know what’s going on.

Can you please advise as I am now downing tools

Sponsored Links
Can someone advise on this please? I am reluctant to brush as it will take long and compromise the finish.

The foam roller is the cause of the problem. As you roll it over the surface it "injects" bubbles in to the paint. If you were painting coloured water the bubbles would burst instantly and not be noticeable.

I seldom ever use foam rollers. Buy a "mohair" type rad roller sleeve.

https://decoratingsundries.co.uk/roller-sleeves/sim-velour-mohair-mini-roller-refill-4-inch

Alternatively, wait a few moments after rolling and then (without reloading the roller) gently roll it back over the surface in the hope of bursting the bubbles. A mohair roller will be less hassle though. Thinning the paint slightly may help as well.

Sponsored Links
As has been said the foam roller is the problem, they are ok with oil based paints but not water based paints.

Those Harris ones will be fine

Those rollers made a huge difference. Night and day!
No bubbles and an awesome finish. Really appreciate the advice

Curious...
Why didn’t I get this issue with the MDF primer as that’s also water based?

I suspect that the WB UC is much thicker and less prone to the foam injecting air in to it.

UPDATE: Thanks for your help with this guys. Finished up this evening and really happy with the finish. The suggested roller made an enormous difference.

Attachments

• D41C659E-43C3-4451-A690-1647E91134A8.jpeg
    D41C659E-43C3-4451-A690-1647E91134A8.jpeg
    244.2 KB · Views: 287
  • AAAEC41E-0E48-4B44-8BEB-0C2AA3F2D08C.jpeg
    AAAEC41E-0E48-4B44-8BEB-0C2AA3F2D08C.jpeg
    220.3 KB · Views: 351

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back