Build a garage/car port under the existing front garden

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
First post! Actually, second post, but we'll forget the first one.

Moving into new home. Has a large grass area out front, then a steep bank down to the country lane it's next to. No pavement. Within a 30mph zone. Bank is approximately 12ft in height, from road level to top of bank.

Previous owners had explored digging out the bank to create parking for two cars without any issues being raised (apparently) but never did anything about it. I'm thinking "dig it out, build under the grass, put in a good-sized garage.

I would really appreciate: thoughts, planning issues/requirements/etc., experiences of similar.

Thanks muchos.

DZ

Sponsored Links
Do you mean to effectively create an open fronted bunker?

Certainly possible- but not just a brick shed that is backfilled.
You need geotextile and drainage to stop the slope crushing the building plus to prevent damp

But a guy on "grand designs" did exactly that.

I gues you could always dig a hole and plant a steel container!

Moving into new home. Has a large grass area out front, then a steep bank down to the country lane it's next to. No pavement. Within a 30mph zone. Bank is approximately 12ft in height, from road level to top of bank.
What's the visibility like along that stretch of road?

Would it be safe for you to manœuvre in and out? Could you properly see other vehicles or pedestrians? Could they easily see you? What about going in and out of the space when it's dark?

I would really appreciate: thoughts, planning issues/requirements/etc., experiences of similar.
Planning dept opinion may not be the same now as when the previous owners looked into it (but they might not have actually talked to the council).

Planning rules might be different if you want a garage and not just a hole in the ground.

But but but but but - you so need to get a structural engineer involved. Building retaining walls to hold back that much soil is not trivial - Tiger's "You need geotextile and drainage" is way too simplistic. If you get it wrong you could kill people.

And it won't be cheap to do:
  • Proper structural calculations
  • Excavation
  • Construction of retaining walls
  • Disposal of about 150 - 200 tonnes of spoil (rough estimate) = 30/40/50 skip or lorry loads?

The site is on a country lane - what about construction machinery? Skips? Parking of grab lorries? On-site storage of materials? Will traffic control be needed?

I don't know what the minimum cost would be for you to get a proper, reasonably accurate, estimate of what the project would cost, but I think you need to do that asap. You might find that planning and logistical concerns become irrelevant.

If it were me, I would employ a architect because it's their job to be able to calculate loads and stresses of various materials. They also have a rough idea what the local council will and will not allow in your area so any opinions on here will not be able to take into account the soil structure, water table or other factors that are relevant to your proposed plan.
Good luck with your project

Mike

Sponsored Links
An architect might well know better than a SE what the council's view is likely to be.

But as for preferring an architect over a local SE with groundwork experience when it comes to doing structural calculations, I really don't think so.

An architect might well know better than a SE what the council's view is likely to be.

But as for preferring an architect over a local SE with groundwork experience when it comes to doing structural calculations, I really don't think so.

I would say that normally a architect draws up plans for a proposed structure and then a SE is consulted as to how much 'beef' the structure needs to be safe and compliant, but without a plan in the first place there is nothing for the SE to calculate.

Mike

This isn't a building - it's a big chunk of a bank excavated and retaining walls built at the rear and at each flank.

Where is the house?. It would likely need planning permission as it is likely to be considered "major engineering works'. Where are the services that run down the road and serve the house, any drainage within 3m? A dropped kerb application (even though there's no dropped kerb) may also be necessary for which the criteria can be very strict. Forget what the last occupants said, it's irrelevant. Without knowing all of this, paying for a designer to design it, sort out all of the required approvals that may be necessary, get an SE to do a design and incorporate it in theirs any discussions with any possible contractors will be pointless as they'll not have a clue what's required. Fees could b easily be a few £K and the cost of such a monstrosity say £10-30k. Got some photos?

Indeed - going down the route of paying for a proper design etc is pointless. But so is embarking on the process of getting permissions without knowing roughly what the total cost is going to be, because that might be a deal breaker.

I would advise that somehow Dweezil find out what the full design would likely cost and what sort of wall would be required, and then get some estimates from contractors for the construction. Because there may come a point somewhere, let's call it £X, where he will say "not spending that much", and that will be an end of it.

Got some photos?
I've been envisaging something like this:

screenshot_1238.jpg

He can paint the roof any colour he likes. :mrgreen: Yes, I know, I know...

I do think though that not having the garage also be the retaining walls would be best. Dunno why - just "feels" more sensible.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back