Build new extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have just been given a price from a brickie for my double storey side extension and single storey side extension.

He said £650 per 1000 bricks (external) and £1.40 per block (internal).

Seems quite expensive to me.

Can someone advise if this is the going rate in the north east please?

Sponsored Links
Can’t help on bricks, but a recent trip to Travis Perkins, blocks were just over £1 each... +vat... medium density ones

This is labour only. Hes charging to do the labour for building the walls at this price.

Hahaha, as I typed it, thought it was strange the brickie was supplying :D

I would guess a Brickie would lay around 700 per day, £150-200 per day.
Sure some brickies will give you their stats.

Sponsored Links
I would guess a Brickie would lay around 700 per day, £150-200 per day.
Sure some brickies will give you their stats.
700 bricks laid at £650 per 1000 equals £455 per day.

700 bricks per day would be a good day and would unlikely average out that many through the week. Then there's loading out, muck, level work, window/door jambs, detailing etc.

I'd say £650 is high end. But if that is what they can get elsewhere then they are unlikely to drop that work to do an extension for less.

But why is he charging separately for the breeze blocks on the inside? £1.40 a block, surely this will add up very expensive as I think 1 block is approx 1 brick. I'm confused as I would've guessed that £650 would include the inside blocks

The question should be "Is he worth £650/1000 and £14/m2?"

Get other quotes

But why is he charging separately for the breeze blocks on the inside? £1.40 a block, surely this will add up very expensive as I think 1 block is approx 1 brick. I'm confused as I would've guessed that £650 would include the inside blocks

You're paying for his years of experience and college training - where he will have learned that a block generally = 9 bricks.

Personally I'd be trying to get a fixed price to make it easier for you to compare and avoid any misunderstanding, I thought the £x per1,000 was only used for site work.

Correct if you turn the 9 upside down.

Very true. My excuse is I'm using those extra long ones at the moment:

IMG_20220302_075921479.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back