Builder filled outside of steel with celotex, is this right?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all

I think I know the answer but… my builder has filled the steel over the bifold opening with celotex. This is on the outside. I assume he has done the same on the inside but this has been plaster-boarded. It is being rendered so won’t be seen but shouldn’t it be brick or block?

See picture.

Thanks

Attachments

• C1A38563-A849-4B39-B458-8931276F0E5B.jpeg
    C1A38563-A849-4B39-B458-8931276F0E5B.jpeg
    292.2 KB · Views: 145
Sponsored Links
Yeah really you want it insulated on the outside as much as possible, steel is an awful thermal bridge and you can end up with lots of problems if it's cold on the inside.

I may be wrong, but I don't think you need to be worried that it won't be brick or block.
Most retrofit external insulation uses a reinforcing mesh fixed over rigid insulation blocks, before being rendered.

Sponsored Links
Similar situation here, although we did block ours up - but used mortar bed reinforcement because a long single course of blocks it not the strongest of structures, hence your builders opting for insulation approach instead.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back