Builder overcharging?

Don't think I could survive on 150 a day, and I'm not exactly blingin it.

You wanna try living in Sussex then :mrgreen: It`s not called the Dead Centre of England for nothing . That was daywork - prices of course are more ;)

Sponsored Links
Yes, definitely educate not remonstrate. Being 'bashed' at such forums just defeats the aim of this forum. As one previous chap said, reel it in and give someone else the bashing.

[quote="Pippy";p="2685123"

The job in question really was very small, couple of buckets of mortar used at the most. It was the fact that the chap gave my mum a false impression of what the job entailed, but I guess she just trusted the guy.[/quote]

quite often I go along to look at a job and what can be seen at the surface is not whats going on underneath, This guy may have had reservations about what could be....

he had booked in to do a days work, the fact it only took a few hours is not his fault,

Sponsored Links
hi
i suggest you go to see a solicitor and pay them £220 an hr for them to speak nice to you and tell you what you want to hear,

Hi Pippy,

Would appreciate some advice on the following.

My mum is 75 years old and needed some repair work doing to a garden wall. She has had problems in the past trying to get builders around to quote for small jobs because they don't seem to want to know. A friend of hers recommended someone so she got him around to give her a quote (verbal estimate). He told her the job would entail putting in some new blocks, shouldn't take anymore than a day and wouldn't cost anymore than £200. She felt this was reasonable so gave him the go ahead.

He did the job, took about three and a half hours and didn't use any blocks, she thought he was going to be here for the whole day. She got the bill and it said, "Labour only £200". We rang the guy and told him we thought his bill was a bit steep for the amount of work that had been done. He originally quoted £200, but took much less time and used less material than he thought. When asked why the bill was still £200, the guy said that there were two extra hours for ringing around to get materials (he's a builder, ringing around to get sand and cement?) and that he had to pay to get rid of the rubbish. We said that all these costs would already have been accounted for in the original estimate. We asked for an itemised bill.

The itemised bill has labour at £100 and materials and expenses at £100. He has charged us £20 for getting rid of rubbish (a bag or two which would have cost us £2 at the local tip but we weren't given that option); he has charged us for diesel on top of this; he seems to have marked up the cost of sand by 150%!!; charged us £13.50 for Feb Mix of which he will only have used a capful; and other things besides.

The guy obviously made these figures up. He could have written anything, as long as he could diddle the 200 GBP out of you.

Unfortunately, in such a case, there's little you can do as a customer. He's done the job to your satisfaction, and now he can claim the agreed amount. The workman is the "professional", he knows (roughly) how much time he'll need for a job and which other cost may be involved. As a customer, you often don't have the knowledge and experience to estimate whether or not a quote is fair and justified. So if you accept the quote, you "trust" that this quote is fair and appropriate to the amount of working hours as well as the quality of the completed work.

In your case, it wasn't. The guy exploited your trust and quoted a price which he knew was far too high for the job. If he'd had decency, he would've knocked 50 quid off - and still would have walked home with a fantastic hourly wage.

Unfortunately, this is the attitude that you find among numerous workmen, and that is also reflected in many of the responses in this thread. If you get overcharged - tough. You naively agreed the price, now you have no other choice than pay.

He is quite clearly ripping my mum off. What we need to know is, is my mum obliged to pay the bill because she accepted his verbal estimate (even though the job was much less than he thought and he is quite clearly overcharging on the materials)? We were thinking we would pay him £150 because that seems more reasonable.

As mentioned above, I guess she is, as she paid for a service not for a particular number of hours. It's very difficult to evade the occasional workman rip-off when you're not in the building trade and when you have to trust these people. It's also obvious that negative experience like yours does not create a cooperative and trusting relationship between workmen and customers but rather one, in which customers learn to be sceptical towards tradesmen and find their own ways to avoid the swizz.

It's a shame, but at the end of the day it's almost always the customer who feels ripped off, and not the workman who can rely on getting his money for the job. Reading the responses to your initial thread, I don't think this imbalance is going to change soon.

Hi again
just another 2 pennies worth, As pippy said they paid for a service not the time, although the "builder" said it may take all day, he would have allocated that time, therefor not have booked any other work for that day, So he would have had to charge a full day for this job, the lady was happy with the job and she happily paid the money the person doing the complaining is a relative.

So many people think that the building trade charge per hour, this is very rarely the case,

on another track i went to a dentist the other day after a filling had fallen out, he charged me '£180 took 45 mins, did i complain, no, will i be going back, NO! lol

happy holidays everyone

As said before, how long the job takes down to the minute, is frankly none of the customers business.

Hire a polish immigrant and put him on an hourly wage where you manage the job start to finish and buy materials yourself. Remember you'll need to pay him to come out and quote the materials for you. It'll probably cost a lot more than £200 to get the same result but at least you'll not feel ripped off.

It's a shame, but at the end of the day it's almost always the customer who feels ripped off, and not the workman who can rely on getting his money for the job. Reading the responses to your initial thread, I don't think this imbalance is going to change soon.

I've just had a customer tell me that the price I quoted for the build of a shell of a house, now doesn't meet his original estimate for the project. He owes me the best part of £20,000.

Customers always hold the Aces because they hold the purse strings.

Needless to say this chap doesn't have a leg to stand on, so i'm not to worried, but i'm afraid Erica, you've got it entirely wrong.

FWIW, I also believe your post is a spoof post deliberately to cause a stir.

people need to make money, especially SE theres a lot more to it than the hours it takes to do the job, dont accept the job if your not happy with the quote. everybody has to make money, all these supermarkets, mobile phone companies, energy companies, tax dodging corporations etc. make silly money.

I guess it depends on whether the builder deliberately overestimated the job or not. If he didn't, then it's no good him giving you a discount, as, with quotes, a business will expect to win on some what it loses from the others. You say 'quote (verbal estimate)'. Which? A quote can be verbal and verbal is just as legally and morally binding as parchment. Goes for both sides though.

If he did deliberately mislead, then that's another matter, and it may be classed as fraud, but without seeing the job, and before and after photos, no one on here will comment. One lesson is to get comparison quotes to check the price is in the right ballpark, and keep a written copy. Written agreements are vital, not just because people cheat, but because it is so easy to have misunderstandings (and if you work with large contracts, even then...)

That you were charged for removal of debris is fair, as it was a part of the job. You could have probably negotiated a discount for not having this done, but a good workman will expect to clear up after himself in absence of other instruction, and would hardly expect an old dear to want to be carrying hardcore around. The costs of materials probably incorporate time spent sourcing and the time to make the phone calls. After all, I had an office job once, and spent a lot of it on hold to haulier call-centres, but I still got paid for that unproductive time, so that is certainly not unusual.

Sorry if the replies you have had sound harsh, but sometimes 50 years experience of running a business makes you realise that what seems like a rip off can actually be the fair cost of keeping the business running.

Sponsored Links
Back