Builder vs Door fitter

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

Just looking for some advice, Ive had a new porch built and upvc door fitted, the builder left a gap in the porch for the door company to fit the door which they did a week later, however the thickness of the wall is 45-50mm larger than the thickness of the door.

I have attached pics of how it looks - the problem I have is that the door installers just left it like that and didnt close the gap or use any door trim. they claim theres nothing they can do and the builder needs to fix it. They wanted to use a flat door trim but are unable to as they said the wall isnt completely straight - as seen in the pic

Builder finished a week ago, has been paid, and is refusing to fix it as he claims its the door fitters job to deal with this, e.g. they can use an angle door trim

now im stuck in the middle of this with neither side wanting to get involved. any advice?
whose responsibility it this?
I can get a PVC angle trim 2.4m x 50mm, its quite thin probably 1-2mm. is there a reason the door fitters wont use this? you can see the wall isnt cut straight in the pic but I dont see why that would cause a problem with an angle trim?

thank you

Attachments

• Door 1.jpg
    Door 1.jpg
    293 KB · Views: 112
  • Door 2.jpg
    Door 2.jpg
    296.5 KB · Views: 113
  • Door 3.jpg
    Door 3.jpg
    286.3 KB · Views: 121
Sponsored Links
Do you mean the width is 50mm bigger than the width of the door? Something is very off there, your builder needs to go to specsavers by the looks.

Anyway as for coordination it depends, when were the measurements taken for the door? Ideally the measurements would have been measured on site of the finished opening and the door made to suit that however it can't always be orchestrated like that, nevertheless if that cannot be achieved then some good communication between the door suppliers and the builders (and you if you are the go between) needs to happen to ensure the opening/door match up. It seems that's not happened! In anycase it seems pretty crap that the door fitter hasn't tapped into their presumably good supply of experience/various trims and come up with a more suitable solution.

I assume the finish is flush and otherwise ok on the outside, in which case the door fitters can only work with what they have been given. They could have put an architrave on even if that left a gap to fill underneath.

Blup

Do you mean the width is 50mm bigger than the width of the door? Something is very off there, your builder needs to go to specsavers by the looks.

Anyway as for coordination it depends, when were the measurements taken for the door? Ideally the measurements would have been measured on site of the finished opening and the door made to suit that however it can't always be orchestrated like that, nevertheless if that cannot be achieved then some good communication between the door suppliers and the builders (and you if you are the go between) needs to happen to ensure the opening/door match up. It seems that's not happened! In anycase it seems pretty crap that the door fitter hasn't tapped into their presumably good supply of experience/various trims and come up with a more suitable solution.
sorry the length and width of the door fits fine, problem was the depth (where you can see the plasterboard and foam on the picture)

Sponsored Links
Must be a single skin porch, you don't get this problem if you plaster after the door is fitted!

Arse about face way of building it if you ask me, to plaster up without a frame to plaster upto.....!!!

Plasterer/builder won't give a toss because the window fitters will make it good and were probably not informed about the level of finishing off, they thought 'making good' was just the normal silicone seal, window fitters turn up and don't have a plaster reveal to work to, they may not have even been aware of the level of finishing off/making good and not priced for so not surprised they walked away

If the plasterboard is truly not straight, the builder is responsible. I suspect the door fitters weren't interested at all but as said they could/should have fitted an architrave overlapping the edge even if they make good the reveal.

It seems odd that the OP paid the builder for the porch but he didn't supply and fit the door.

Blup

somethings not right here! Those side windows in the porch don't look new either ( mechanically jointed transoms and ingrained with dirt ) , why would the builder fit those and not the door ? Why does all the plasterboard look like its been cut back, it's awful Why would the builder plaster up to the reveal of cut back plaster board with no corner joint? Why even would the builder bother plastering before the door was fitted. Sorry I blame the builder here, I can almost guarantee the window fitters quote said ' First Fix '

If the builder built the porch knowing that the doors where to be fitted at a later date then he should have allowed for that by fitting metal plaster beads around the opening, stopping the plaster at the face, and then coming back later to plaster the reveals up to the frame once the door frame was fitted.

So, unless you had an agreement with the door fitters to make good the reveals, then it's the builder's job.

You need another builder or plaster to come and do the above work.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back