Builders Quotes - Is this correct

Nah not for hourly or day rate either I have that worked out for myself and if it comes in under the timescale you price for your up slightly and if it comes in over that’s your mistake as a professional. The price is the price.

unless you come across a major snag in the build. Then you have to go back and talk with the customer.

don’t see the need to put a price for every single item I’m buying that’s my business. :D
He said this to us, i.e the price is the price and if something comes up unless its a a major unknown then it wont change, so the risk is his I guess.

Sponsored Links
He said this to us, i.e the price is the price and if something comes up unless its a a major unknown then it wont change, so the risk is his I guess.

Can’t speak for everyone mate that’s just how I do things not saying it’s right or wrong but I think itemising every single item I’m buying in say an extension is total overkill.

when you do enough of them you can work out a decent enough timescale to work to and have a rough idea of how long the guys take to do what.

I’ve been stung a few times when things run slightly over but for the most parts it works out good for everyone.

saves you going back and asking the customer for more money cauz say the joiner has took longer than you thought he would

I've had quotes that break it down, usually in stages, such as
groundworks and foundations, clearing (skips)
brickwork and windows/external doors
roof, felted and tiled
electrics
plumbing
boarding out and plastering

This was good enough, and showed some massive variations. For instance, one builder (arrived it big flashy Range Rover) wanted £20k for the first stage, whereas the builder I went for did that in less than half the price.

I lot of builders put more of the quote into the foundations / slab stage, just in case. They might quote more of less the same overall, but it means they take most of their profit early on, and also means you're less likely to kick them off if they turn out to be cowboys, because the next quotes to finish come in at more than what you have left to pay ...

Hi,

Looking for some advice, we have been tendering for our extension and have received 3 quotes. The first two were much higher than expected but came with a cost breakdown for each area i.e. windows, carpentry, steel works etc

The third quote who is our preferred builder and the most professional so far has just arrived. The only difference in the quotes is that he has not provided a breakdown of costs, he has listed the works and given a contract but there is only a total cost and no individual breakdown. Is this ok?

My worry would be that we get further into the project and something changes with the windows for example and we have no reference point to base any increase costs on. We have never extended before so it would be good to know what we should ask for.

We just want a comparison. For example one quote has allowed £7000 to fit the sanitary ware to the en-suite which seemed really high so in that instance we could do that separately.

Thanks for any advice in advance.
In my opinion, a breakdown is irrelevant. Its the spec of what the builder is going to do that is important.

Its doesn't matter how much he has allowed to fit the sanitary ware to the ensuite. The more important thing is that he specifies what work he's doing and what goods he's supplying. EG if he's supplying the sanitaryware, is it the make and model that you want? If you're supplying it, has he allowed to install it all. If either isn't clear its doesn't matter how much he's allowed.

If you want to cherry pick certain bits of the work and find someone else to the bits you think are expensive, that's different.

I paid a fixed price for our extension, and the builder wrote a detailed spec. The only variations were when we asked for more plug sockets that he'd specified and a scaffolding extension that he'd not specified that i wanted so that i could access the chimney to put a rain cap on it. Other than that, we paid the agreed price.

Sponsored Links
Nah not for hourly or day rate either I have that worked out for myself and if it comes in under the timescale you price for your up slightly and if it comes in over that’s your mistake as a professional. The price is the price.

unless you come across a major snag in the build. Then you have to go back and talk with the customer.

don’t see the need to put a price for every single item I’m buying that’s my business. :D
That's great in the fluffy fluffy world, where everyone is nice, but it gives no protection at all for a customer.

Once there is a change the customer needs to know how that will be priced, and not held to ransom with some random price that the builder dreams up based on how much he needs for his next holiday.

All items need to be priced. If Builder A is quoting for say a WB boiler and Builder B quoting for some Fung-Yip thing from China, or one for chrome MK switches and one for no-name of Ebay things then the customer needs to know that. Same for all significant components or processes but that does not mean down the the nth degree.

One coat of gloss or two? MDF skirtings or quality softwood? Ceramic floor tiles or self leveller? That's the gist.

He was on time, polite, seemed to have a lot of knowledge and pointed out things others had not, made suggestions that made sense, took quite a bit of time to go through everything, kept in touch, waited for the full building regs before giving his quote (others had quoted without seeing them) and he has good reviews and photos of previous works. Overall we had a great feeling about the firm and felt comfortable we could work together, did not feel that way about any of the others.
TBH, you could say that about every single gypsy rover that knocks your front door. Great salesmen, very polite very assuring, but total crap when it comes to the work and worse still when it comes to paying for it.

Reviews from friends and associates? Photos of the extension when built and nice and clean - not a year after with the cracks and flaking paint and leaky roof?

TBH, you could say that about every single gypsy rover that knocks your front door. Great salesmen, very polite very assuring, but total crap when it comes to the work and worse still when it comes to paying for it.

Reviews from friends and associates? Photos of the extension when built and nice and clean - not a year after with the cracks and flaking paint and leaky roof?

Sometimes it’s all you have to go off, plus the contract, drawings and specification that has been agreed. It’s stage payments and everything will be in writing.

We are able to view past works and there wasn’t any pressure to go ahead, he also have a 5 month wait to start.

What else can you do?

That's great in the fluffy fluffy world, where everyone is nice, but it gives no protection at all for a customer.

Once there is a change the customer needs to know how that will be priced, and not held to ransom with some random price that the builder dreams up based on how much he needs for his next holiday.

All items need to be priced. If Builder A is quoting for say a WB boiler and Builder B quoting for some Fung-Yip thing from China, or one for chrome MK switches and one for no-name of Ebay things then the customer needs to know that. Same for all significant components or processes but that does not mean down the the nth degree.

One coat of gloss or two? MDF skirtings or quality softwood? Ceramic floor tiles or self leveller? That's the gist.

aye I’ll agree with you there what yer using has to be specd.

however the best way to deal with that is leave the customers with the catalogues for flooring doors windows and slabs etc

let them pick their own.

Sometimes it’s all you have to go off, plus the contract, drawings and specification that has been agreed. It’s stage payments and everything will be in writing.

We are able to view past works and there wasn’t any pressure to go ahead, he also have a 5 month wait to start.

What else can you do?

If your waiting half a year mealy chances are he’s busy enough which is always a good sign.

Ask him if he has done any other work in the area and have a look for yourself if ye can.

nothing better than someone who has already used him

For an extension you might be better off asking for quotes for the basic build first, then worry about finishing it later on.
i.e. finished to be ready for decorating and installing bathroom, flooring etc. but with skirting and doors, lights. Then you can compare quotes like for like, and if the builder turns out to be good at brickwork but seems less knowledgeable about bathroom fitting and kitchens, you can find somebody else to do those bits. Although having a builder's carpenter in at a day rate to put a kitchen in will always be a lot cheaper than going to a kitchen shop.

What else can you do?
Not a lot unfortunately. Having that gut feeling is important, and the need to get on with the builder is paramount.
As long has you've done your homework, that is all you can do.

I know of people who have done everything right, done all the checks, done the research done the whole vetting thing, had contracts, payment plans the whole lot and been left with a pile of shiite from "good builders". Conversely, people who have just selected an unknown on a whim, lowest price, no spec, a 'just get on with it' type of attitude who have got excellent jobs.

But sort out concerns before hand.

Despite what I said about what should be done, if you feel that the builder wont rip you off and itemised quotes are not that important you (or less important than booking that builder in) then that's fine. Or if you want to use that builder but want an itemised quote, just ask - and if he knows he will get the job, he will be inclined to produce one.

aye I’ll agree with you there what yer using has to be specd.

however the best way to deal with that is leave the customers with the catalogues for flooring doors windows and slabs etc

let them pick their own.

If you as a builder know you are out to do a good job at a fair price thats fine, keeping it simple works. But I think that a customer does need to know what they are getting and for how much - as does the builder know what he's committing to.

And as you know there are probably as many dodgy customers as there are dodgy builders!

And as you know there are probably as many dodgy customers as there are dodgy builders!

And many customers also just don't know what to expect too (I speak from personal experience!). I have had those "oh, you're not doing that then?" moments from my first extension. With my last (and I hope final!) extension I felt in much more control as I had a very clear understanding of what was happening.

And many customers also just don't know what to expect too (I speak from personal experience!). I have had those "oh, you're not doing that then?" moments from my first extension. With my last (and I hope final!) extension I felt in much more control as I had a very clear understanding of what was happening.
That's it. Some are bothered, some aren't, but without clarity and itemisation the potential to be paying more or getting less is there.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back