Building a bed, help needed please..

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
..I'm shortly going to start constructing a George Nelson style kingsize bed (the original retails for £3000-4000+ and is very hard to find) but have a few questions..

What would be the best material to use? The link below mentions the use of two hollow-core undrilled doors, 32x80'' in size strapped together. Where can these be bought in the UK?

http://www.dailypundit.com/MCM-Interiors/2007/10/how_to_build_a_george_nelsonst.html

However, I won't be using the iron pipe base on the link above as it doesn't tie in with the original look. This bed below is the sort of finished product I'am hoping to end up with!

bednr1.jpg

Rather than using a finished oak board surround, I rather like the flat base on the above bed, again, how would I achieve this? I have the legs sorted, and the head board shouldn't be too difficult I'm just struggling to decide which material to use for the base! Any help would be much appreciated.

Sponsored Links
mmmm well you could use 1 inch mdf and glue and pin a nice beading on,or you could biscuit joint a load of pine floor boards together then router out a nice moulding round the edge.

Just go to a decent timber merchant and ask for a pair of hollow core ply flush doors, thats a standard size so you should not have a problem. The undrilled bit is an american thing as they tend to use door handles that need a large 50-60mm hole through the door.

You will need some sort of sub-frame below the doors to stop them folding up on you.

Personally I would get four pieces of your chosen hardwood say 200x50, join these into a flat rectangle, cut a rebate on the inside two edges and then rip some 25mm MDF into 75mm wide slats as these will allow for some air to circulate under the matress. You may also need a center rail as the span for the slats on a king size bed is getting a bit large. You can hold the four edges together with dowels for lacation and fixings like these fitted from below so the bed can be taken apart to get it upstairs.

And in true Blue Peter style here is one I made earlier ;)

Jason

Sorry for the rather 'late' reply, and thank you both for your help!!! I'm not too confident in my ability to produce a nice peice. Would any one be willing to take this on for me? Of course I would pay. I'm based in Sussex so anyone in the South East would be great.

I have included more images of the bed below, in terms of contruction that would be upto whoever made it, I'm just after the look.

george_bed_frame.jpg

2518745749_c93454b60a.jpg

lrg_V-leg-bed.jpg

Sponsored Links
After a quick look at the black one in your post above I'd be looking for at least £2500 +VAT to make something like that subject to what wood you want it in and if the metalwork is alloy or stainless.

Jason

Have attempted to make contact via a PM but like me you don’t accept PM’s.

You can use the link above to access my website.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back