Building a brick shed against the house

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am planning on having a large brick shed built against the side of the house (approx 2.5 Mtr wide x 6 Mtr long), it will not be closer than 2 Mtr to the boundary fence and will be inline with the front elevation of the house. I have read through local council PD documents, been on the planning portal website but unable to find details as to if I can proceed.

'Class E' for external buildings say the new structure must not touch the house (so assuming it would be classed as an extension) so I went to 'Class A' but that does not mention anything about a shed, only an extension.

The shed will not be accessible from inside the house.

I have attached a sketch to give an idea of what I envisage.

I contacted the local council but they want £65 to just tell me if its class A or E.

Many thanks in advance.

Kevin

Attachments

• Shed sketch A.pdf
    49 KB · Views: 404
Sponsored Links
Duly owed !!! . I thought that would be the case, so even though there is no access to the shed from the house and it will not have windows and be for storage its still classed as an extension ?

So apart from the usual constraints (such as not past the front elevation, 2 mtr from boundary, not more than 3mtr high) are there additional rules that I need to take into consideration ?

It will be built in block then rendered, the walls will be on a 350mm concrete foundation and the floor will be 150mm concrete base sat on hardcore, so the structure will be pretty sound.

Many thanks for info.

Kevin

You are extending the footprint of the dwelling. So it's an extension. The criteria is pretty clear and is all in the document linked to. Check your house retains al of its PD rights. Generally newish houses (ie less than say 20-30 years old) can be restricted and older ones won't be. And occasionaly Area 4 directions apply that restrict development.

Sponsored Links
If it's a side extension the width of the extension cannot be more than 50% of the width of the main house. Materials will need to match the main house.

The extension is leas than 50% of the width of the house so thats fine, the materials bit is bit more complicated as planned on using blocks instead of bricks so we would not need to build pillars for strength (as the longest wall is 3.7mtrs), thus not reducing internal size and making a an uneven shaped wall.

Can there be such a thing as a non-habitable extension? Is building regulations approval needed for an attached shed?

Cheers
Richard

@op; What's this about '2m from the boundary'? Surely you can go closer than that?
That 2m-thing is for detached structures.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back