Building a built in wardrobe

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Have a fairly big space around 2.5m wide and 500mm deep that I want to turn into a fitted wardrobe.

I am fairly handy and should be able to knock up the frame easily.

The only problem I have is how do I go about fitting sliding doors? what sort of tracks will I need?

Preferably want mirrored doors.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Yes, the door manufacturers provide tracks suitable for the doors. You can buy ready made from numerous places or if the ready-made sizes don't suit your space, you can order the necessary size up to 1 mm precision.

Hi Andy,
I am just completing a similar project and found that Homebase were really good price and quality with a variety of doors to suit. Good delivery service and well made. The track can be cut easily with a hacksaw so look for the best size to give a minimum of 25mm overlap and go from there. Sometimes cheaper to order from the internet then in store
Rob

Sponsored Links
Also choose doors before you start so you know how much to allow, a track+door typically uses 80mm or so and will eat into the depth you have.

yes i agree with foxy anything bulky on a hanger will need 500mm to hang properly so you will have to move the doors forward from the front edge you may get away with around 475 but no less otherwise your clothes will need to hang at an angle that means you have to keep pushing them and they will rub on the doors and possibly cause the back door to lock/catch on a hanger or two

You could always use trombone hanging rails, run front to back rather than across.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back