Building a Floor and using chipboard

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello, i am currently trying to build a gym in one of the sections of a barn (i live on a farm =D) it measures around 18ft x 20ft.
Im going to use this as the flooring.

http://www.wickes.co.uk/tongued-and-grooved-chipboard-flooring/invt/164516/

and it says on the description - For use with joists up to 450mm apart.
so i thought ill be on the safe side and make it 400mm apart.
however i came across some small loft pannels that are made from chipboard and are the same size depth wize and i tryed jumping up and down on them and testing the strength of it and it didnt take much for it to snap.

The loft pannels i used to test it were old though, it has been in my garden shed for years now but they have been sealed up and looked newish.

should i still buy these and hope that they have more strength or should i try and find somthing else to use as the floor?.

Sponsored Links
I would never go for chipboard. Most have a moist repellent surface you can't glue onto - so limited in final floor choices. Plus they are just rubbish.

Use 18mm WBP plywood instead

Hey, thanks for that =D, i understand that chipboard isnt the best of stuff but its cheap and if it lasts me afew years until i gotta replace it i wouldnt mind :p.
i dont really want to glue onto it, i was thinking of screwing the floorboards down onto the joists.

This will be the final floor.

Single panels of chipboard are weak, when assembled into a floor it is stronger.

The ONLY benefits you get from chipboard is that it is quick and cheap to install.

For a gym consider putting joists closer together.

I would price pine tongue and grove boards from a timber merchant, far better.

Sponsored Links
Place your battens at 35cm and get 18mm thick floorboards - no need for subfloor then

Got to agree with the others go for 18mm WBP or floorboards; chip board is a poor choice for a gym environment, is not particularly hard wearing & so unsuitable as a final floor surface, in fact it’s total crap. If you have any powered equipment, the vibration could actually cause the feet to eat through the floor, I once had a washing machine partly disappear into a suspended floor due to this. If you’re intent on chip, you should at least lay some cheep laminate over it.

If its for a Gym i'd use 25mm WBP as you need a really solid, strong floor.

I lifted the existing floorboards and laid 25mm WBP ply in our bathroom as i was tiling the floor. With the 25mm ply down its the strongest floor in the house by some way!

hey peeps, i think im going to take a pic of what ive done so far, the main reason of going for chipboard is because its cheap, dont get me wrong if i had the money i would be using 50mm solid oak or somthing for the floors :p

however im liking the idea of using laminate over the top i think that would be nice and look great =D + feel smooth and be easy to clean. ill get back to you guys in afew mins. I just asked my step dad (the owner of the farm) and he says the sections are smaller than 18x20ft but im sure its somthing like that.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back