Building a foundation around the mains electric cable

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
i'm looking at building an extension and have came across the main electric cable coming into the house from the outside poles exactly where I want to build my extension on top of.

I've heard that some builders have built the foundations around this cable, similar to feeding through pipes / services using litels, etc. I'm not sure if they covered it in a conduit to enable the cable to be pulled though in years to come or not (heaven knows why the cable would need renewed, but nevertheless)

Have you good knowledgeable people came accross this problem and how did you solve it?

I really don't want the electricity board coming out to put in a longer cable as that would cost ££££'s due to the distance from the poles!!

Sponsored Links
For the most part leccy cables can be conctreted in.
It is preferred however, that should they pass through the concrete, you should sleeve the cable with some plastic downpipe or similar.

That is perfect. Thank you!

I was worried that it may have been a total show stopper! I'll see about sleeving it, as knowing my typical luck, the electric company will want to change it soon after my exension is built!

You should ask them first. They will have regulations about depth, and duct, and you can give them the opportunity to renew it now if they want to.

Sponsored Links
Personally, i'd stay away from contacting the Utility Co unless/or until it's necessary. Presumably you'r in contact with BCO? If so ask them your question, they will have seen it many times before. BCO might require that, pre-inspection, you expose the service cable across the proposed extension footprint.
I could relate what i've done in a similar situation, but it might not fly in your area.

FWIW: Leccy co's are not too concerned about where the elec. service ends up in a structure, they are more concerned with nominating the point where they will pick up and supply the service from.

You keep mentioning "poles" - does your elec service come below ground or drop from above?

Whatever method you use, the general idea is that the cable won't be crushed and it will be an easy pull through if ever it needs replacing.

It may be difficult to sleeve the existing cable.

It may be a good idea to put a new, empty duct in place for future use, as renewing the cable when the time should come could prove difficult.

A flexible conduit minimum diameter 2" with a draw string already in it is what you need. Avoid putting it where it could get crushed.

If ever it needs replacing, they would most likely re-route externally in any case.

What sort of cable is it? Photos?

I would be wary of doing anything too 'buildery' around it if it is a PILC or anything other than a PVC type.

If as often happens the cable goes faulty, no matter how careful you are it might get damaged, how would the DNO get a new cable from outside to your meter position?

Install, as has been suggested, a 32mm plastic pipe alongside the existing cable from outside to the meter position.

the cable, up to and including the meter, is owned by the Electricity distributor, and they are entitled to insist it is installed in accordance with their requirements.

It would be much more expensive and troublesome if they insisted on you digging it up at a later date.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back