Building a garden retaining wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all I need some advice regarding building walls, specifically building a garden wall

It has been many years since I have tackled anything like this so I need somebody to verify/confirmed/shoot down in flames my plan :)

Anyway, enough waffle....

In my garden there is a terrace that I want to extend out into the, currently turfed, garden:

DSCF1315.JPG

In order to acheive this I need to build a wall to retain the fill required to bring the "terrace extension" to the same level as the current terrace. The position of this wall is shown in the pic by the white string line (total length = 4800mm + 2400mm (7200mm), total height 1000mm)

I intend to dig a 800mm deep, 400mm wide foundation down onto the clay layer under the garden. This will be concrete back filled to a depth of 700mm. The first course will sit on this foundation.

The wall itself will be double skin, the inner skin will be simple breeze block, the outer skin will be dress stone (you can see the sort of dress stone on the wall that leads out on the left). Both skins will be bolt tied to existing walls at either end.

Once the wall is in place the "swimming pool" it creates will be filled with hardcore and then "her indoors" has to decide was fancy paving she wants

So that the plan, which at the moment doesnt include any drainage which is one thing I am not sure if it needs or not.

What have I missed here?

The reason I am doing this myself? Well all quotes I have had have been around 3k, this is due to the volume of donkey work that needs to be done (e.g. foundations have to be dug and filled by hand and many tonnes of back fill has to be hand carried in as there is no way to get any machinery into the garden)

Having said all this, plan B is to do the foundation work myself, get somebody in to build and top the wall and then fill it myself

Then there is always plan C, which is to only build the wall parallel to the terrace and then used bison beams to bridge across to the terrace, infil and screeded. This then leaves a void that I can use for storage

Sponsored Links
how about plan d and use the spoil from the excavations to infill the raised area to save on the cart away costs?

This I intend to do anyway, however the spoil from the foundations will only be a small percentage of what will be needed to complete the fill.

I have to admit, the more I think about this the more I am inclined toward using beams to create a void. Nice a simple, less donkey work and it gives me somewhere to put the kids when they are driving me nuts :evil:

Plan C sounds the best to me usefull storage and if it all goes horribly wrong or you change your mind it's easier to return to how it was before.

-Neil

Sponsored Links
Check with the neighbours first. they might take exception to the extra outcrop at this height particularly if it allows you to see further into their private space. Unless of course you already have an agreed fence in excess of the standard permissible 1.8metres.

Other than that, with the storage area underneath it sounds like a good project.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back