Building a hearth on top of floorboards

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Happy New Year all! I'm looking to build a decorative hearth around a non-functional fireplace. In front at the moment are just floorboards and I've got a slab of slate to put down. Only problem is that there is 10.5cm gap between the fire and the floorboards.

I've seen suggestions to concrete a base on top of the floorboards, but I'm a little nervous about the weight of that much concrete. Any ideas of other materials that I might be able to use to bump it up? Its only decorative at the moment, but if we did want to use it in the future, are there any lightweight heatproof materials that meet building regs?

Thanks very much :)

Sponsored Links
Don't understand the question!
Non-functional fireplace/10.5cm gap between fire and floorboards :confused:
Do you have photo to explain this better?

Happy New Year all! I'm looking to build a decorative hearth around a non-functional fireplace. In front at the moment are just floorboards and I've got a slab of slate to put down. Only problem is that there is 10.5cm gap between the fire and the floorboards.

I've seen suggestions to concrete a base on top of the floorboards, but I'm a little nervous about the weight of that much concrete. Any ideas of other materials that I might be able to use to bump it up? Its only decorative at the moment, but if we did want to use it in the future, are there any lightweight heatproof materials that meet building regs?

Thanks very much :)

For decorative reasons just stick the slate on bricks if you want to raise it.

For a functioning fireplace you will have to do proper hearth inside the fireplace as well, together with a flue of some sort. Going half way at this stage seems pointless.

Hi both, thanks for your responses.

To clarify, the bottom of the cast iron fireplace sits 10.5cm above the floorboards. The fireplace sits on a concrete base which is inside the chimney breast, but does not protrude out of it.

I agree, would be best to 'future-proof- it if possible, but I worry that an 8cm deep slab of concrete might be quite a weight for the boards/joists.

Any lighterweight materials that might be suitable?

Thanks for help :)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back