Building a porch?

Excellent Tony. The only thing about the pillars is they will be right infront of the bay but it is a nice solution. It was also considerate of you to remove the rainwater pipe!

Ofcouse it is all down to personal taste. I really like that existing opening and glass. I would be tempted to put an open flat roof with some quality joinery and leadwork.

As for the new wing, you could even go contemporay and have those eco windows and a rendered finish, and a modern door with glazing and more simple flat roof.

Ian the world is your lobster!

Sponsored Links
Lobster :LOL::LOL::LOL:(y)

By open do you mean a flat canopy over the door?

I'm just on with ordering the windows, they are £288 extra to have the leaded top bits matched, seems reasonable.

I like Tony's idea - gets rid of the symmetry problem and the ridge/window issue..... and ties it all together... winner in my book.

Sponsored Links
The only thing is about Tony's is normally the canopy goes over a single bay and is a sort of belt and braces solution to the flat bay roof. I was just thinking it could possibly make the front room a bit dark. Plus the rainwater pipe to consider.

Ian have you considered building a single bay to the front room??? Not a bad option if you want to keep it in keeping.

I did think of a bay but thought it would look odd because it's about 900mm narrower than the other ones.

The downstairs room in the extension part has a window on the side too so it's pretty bright.

I was thinking about a square bay on the extension downstairs window just to break up the flatness of that side, which you won't see on a 1930's house. I know bay windows are bloody expensive though. But then Tony's porch (as we shall call it now) would work better then in my opinion at least.

Maybe Tony can draw us one :D.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back