Building a porch?

Sponsored Links
I am just saying that without knowing the relationship between this porch, your house and the other houses, it is impossible to know if it will work or not.

I get what your saying and you may well be right.

I think it best if I post a pic once the garage is bricked up and the opening made for the window above it. Should be 2 weeks.

This is the only pic I have of the front on my phone:
IMG_5714.JPG

The neighbour attached has the same side extension with windows top and bottom, same porch as is there now and the other houses around (it's the end of a cul-de-sac) are bungalows

If the garage is being changed to a room, with a window, then you definitely don't want to be looking out at a brick wall in the side of the porch; it'll cut down the light coming into the room. Good point on the depth; is the porch door going to open inwards or outwards. If it opens inwards, think about stepping into the porch, and then shuffling round the door before you can get to the inner door.

Wow - looks interesting!

The thing I am thinking is stylistically the gable porch is more of a victorian feature and not found on inter-war housing. That is not to say it is wrong in any way though.

A lot depends on your plans for the building as a whole and if it is with an eye to selling at some point in the future.

A traditional solution would be an outdoor porch with a single pitched roof that extends over the window where the garage is, with posts each side to round it off. That one does break up the mass of the building.

Or you could consider a covered side entrance porch, which avoids that double door problem. You could then keep the glass at the front, which must be good for getting light into the house.

You could always replace the window above with something more in keeping with the house, or even a box or oriel window say. Just saying there is a lot you could do.

Sponsored Links
actually not, the internal dimension is only used for building regs purposes not for planning! You can "un thanks" my previous post for spreading misinformation:rolleyes:
https://www.planningportal.co.uk/info/200130/common_projects/46/porches
"
  1. the ground floor area (measured externally) would not exceed three square metres"

The planning portal needs to sort out it's terminology. You can't have "ground floor area" and measured externally in the same sentence as they are different meanings

It is the footprint of the external walls, the "ground area" that is the relevant factor.

The planning portal needs to sort out it's terminology. You can't have "ground floor area" and measured externally in the same sentence as they are different meanings

It is the footprint of the external walls, the "ground area" that is the relevant factor.
that's how the queen ended up with this porch on buckingham palace
upload_2018-3-27_23-19-9.png

As long as you make sure that the porch uses yet another different type of brick then it will fit in nicely. (y)

They are all 73mm sandfaced so I'm hoping they will all clean up the same.

As long as you make sure that the porch uses yet another different type of brick then it will fit in nicely. (y)
Just like going down to EH Smiths!

Another thought about getting the ridge central to the window above.... could you not make that window wider to centralise it over the door?

No, too much work and the room is very small, we pinched half of it for the loft stairs.

Many interesting ideas and comments here.
FWIW, I think trying to cram a porch into the relatively narrow width available, and putting a gable on it as well, would make it look a bit 'forced', as though it had to be tightly shoehorned into the space.
Why not consider a simple lean-to roof, and carry this across the side extension in the form of a canopy. This would visually link the house up with the side extension and make it look more uniform, instead of the more staccato effect of bay-porch-window.
Scan0226.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back