Building a small extension, Electrics Question

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all,
I am currently planning my downstairs extension that I will start in the new year.

What I can not yet make my mind on is if I should do the electrics myself and get building control in to get it inspected and signed off, or just get a local firm in to do the job for me.

I am planning on doing as much of the extension my self as possible, so I would prefer to the electrics my self. That way I can fit it around the other works etc.

A bit of background info:
I have already done the house up and done a lot of the electrics already, ( 3/4 rewire, new consumer unit, new garage circuit etc) However as I had no need to move and did not want a Part P cert I did all the work myself, then had a PIR done for my own piece of mind.

Because of all this existing works I am happy I know where to break into the ring and where I can get lighing feeds from etc which will make my life easier.

What I am interested to have is some feedback of using the Building Reg inspection system as a way of getting the "new works" (extension) signed off.
Also how much of an issue my existing install without the correct paperwork might be.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
If the circuits into the extension are not new, and are not 'special locations' then no notification will be necessary. All work will still need to comply with 'Part P'.

Agreed that under those conditions the electrical work per se is not notifiable.

BUT - notifying it cannot be avoided because it is part of the extension.

Building Control WILL want to know how compliance with Part P will be achieved.

Sponsored Links
Wouldn't have thought there would be a notification fee, but there might well be an additional fee for I&T - depends entirely on what the council's rules/charging policies are.

Cheers for the input guys.

I think I will have to notify. But If I dont have to pay to notify I guess that will offset the cost of getting it tested.

Cheers

You will have to pay to notify, but it'll be part of the same notification that your making for the extension itself.

You won't have to pay extra to notify the electrical work - it's all one building project.

But you will have to pay extra if you DIY the electrical work.

As part of the notification you will have to explain how compliance with the Building Regulations will be achieved. So for example for the structural aspects, you'll have to describe how they will be done so that the council can determine if Part A will be complied with. Part P is just one of the requirements which will apply to this building project.

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/2010/2214/schedule/1/made

They will want to know, therefore, how you will ensure compliance, which basically means who will be doing the electrical work. If it's not done by an electrician who can self-certify then they will charge you a separate inspection and testing fee.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back