Building a step, paving slab overlap question?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Im after a bit of advice on building a step. Ive dug down and tampered the mud, added some concrete at roughly 4inches thick. Ive laid some building blocks on their side (4inch wide 7nm).
Im wanting to put paving slabs on top (45cm by 45cm). Should the paving slabs over lap the blocks a bit?

Thanks for your help

Sponsored Links
I always put a small overhang in, although I've just redone some steps in someones garden when they didn't want the overhang put back.
The slabs were nearly 30 years old and one of their friends stood on the edge and it gave way causing him for fall down the steps.
However I still put a 20mm overhang in with the new slabs as it would have meant cutting about 40 of them.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for the replies. Im going to add a 15-20mm overlap

I'm soon to be doing this and wondered what you do with the joints between the slabs on the overhang since there will be just air beneath the slabs at that point?

Cheers,

Ed

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back