building a stud wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys - I need to build a stud wall which is to contain 100mm celotex in it. I am therefore intending to use timber to build the wall whihc is 120mm wide by 45mm - is this ok or should I use 100mm wide timber? My conern with 100mm wide timber is that it will be to tight to get the insullation in. Could anyone please clearify.

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Why are you putting Celotex into a stud wall? I normally use mineral wool or even 100mm cavity bats. Problem with going to 120mm is if you have any doors, I don’t think you will get a standard door lining kit that width & will have to make your own.

Hi guys - I need to build a stud wall which is to contain 100mm celotex in it. I am therefore intending to use timber to build the wall whihc is 120mm wide by 45mm - is this ok or should I use 100mm wide timber? My conern with 100mm wide timber is that it will be to tight to get the insullation in. Could anyone please clearify.

Thanks

Well I would see if the celotex fits in the 100mm wall first (by trying it at the timber yard !) This will allow for the fact that timber is often planed to a smaller dimension than the nominal size.
For this reason you may have to use a wider wall.
And if there are any doors in the wall, make sure you can get door linings of the correct width for the wall.
Door linings are available in widths to suit various standard timber sizes, allowing for 15mm each side (12mm plasterboard + 3mm skim), but I'm not sure if 120mm is a standard size.

Simon.

Thanks - no doors so all good.

The archictects drawing says use 100mm celotex in the stud wall, to acheice U value of 0.22. Is this normal or should I be look at other proucts?

Sponsored Links
sorry - let me explain a little more. I am partioning my internal garage to create an ensuite. This stud wall will have the ensuite one side and the remainder of the garage on the other. The wall is to have three courses of bricks in the bottom, dpc and dpm and then stud on top.

Aprreciate and thoughts

sorry - let me explain a little more. I am partioning my internal garage to create an ensuite. This stud wall will have the ensuite one side and the remainder of the garage on the other.
Aha now it makes sense :LOL:

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back