Insulation for a 100mm Stud Wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi

I am building a 100mm stud wall for a boot room which is in an un-insulated garage.

To comply with the latest requirements is 100mm of fiberglass acceptable?

Sponsored Links
What's a boot room? If it's just a store then there are no requirements for insulation, if it's a habitable room you need more than that if it's only plasterboard, also ventilation etc.

What's a boot room? If it's just a store then there are no requirements for insulation, if it's a habitable room you need more than that if it's only plasterboard, also ventilation etc.
It's a small room that ajoins a kitchen, and is used for storing items, including boots.

Sponsored Links
You need at least 100mm PIR foam between studs. I'd also fit 30mm across in a continuous layer as well before a finish layer of plasterboard.

60/25 should be sufficient for regs plasterboarded both sides.
You may also need 150mm liquid impervious layer at the bottom, depending on the layout of the original garage floor.
Assuming the rest of the garage will remain so.

Based on your update you'll need double layer of plasterboard and adequate ventilation as well as about 70mm celotex.

Have a look at "approved document part f ventilation "
Basically the simple summary is you need 8000mm2 ventilation to another ventilated room or outside, or a constant extract.
The complicated rules you can find from the above approved document if you have a few hours to spare.

Also remember that the insulation requirements apply to the ceiling and floor too!

Not sure if you got what I meant the bottom 150mm of the wall need to be impervious to fluids seeping under the wall from the garage unless the garage floor slopes away at the required fall(sorry can't remember what that is but it is specified in the building regs)
Have a look on the celotex site, they have a u-value calculator, but for a garage divide, with plasterboard on both sides I'm pretty sure that 60mm between and 25mm over the studs will achieve the correct u-value.

What you do to this boot room all depends on whether you are keeping the separation from the house where it is, or moving it. ie is the room part of the house or part of the garage.

Either way, by all accounts its a store room and does not need to be insulated or ventilated unless you want it to be.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back