Insulating stud wall between garage and house

Sponsored Links
One layer fireline will be fine. We did two and cross jointed because the customer wanted max sound block.
Is 2 layers of fireline cheaper than acoustic - I’m thinking of doing a project that needs some soundproofing and was thinking pink fireboard would be more readily available and maybe cheaper - I don’t know about sound attenuation, but it’s chuffing heavy stuff

Is 2 layers of fireline cheaper than acoustic - I’m thinking of doing a project that needs some soundproofing and was thinking pink fireboard would be more readily available and maybe cheaper - I don’t know about sound attenuation, but it’s chuffing heavy stuff
Sound blocking is all about mass. And thats all acoustic board is, i.e. heavy dense boards. Whatever is available and affordable really.

Sound blocking is all about mass. And thats all acoustic board is, i.e. heavy dense boards. Whatever is available and affordable really.
Cheers - that’s exactly what I thought, I can’t help thinking it’s marketing.

Sponsored Links
If someone wants max sound block, then blue board is better than pink.

But in practice for a small wall in a garage, there is no discernable difference in any plasterboard, so may as well just use a single standard board for the fire resistance and be done with it. Especially if cost is an issue.

Cheers - that’s exactly what I thought, I can’t help thinking it’s marketing.
Mastic around the edge of the board helps. We had some leftover (expensive) polysulphide mastic we used around the edges. Stagger the joints on the boards too. It all helps with noise reduction.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back