Building a wall (noob)

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We have an old wooden fence looking a bit sorry for itself
I'd like to replace with a brick wall, 200h x 1140l x 21w (cm) between two houses on boundary.

Its quite long, and wicks reckons 1300 bricks, so may be quite costly :(
Never done this before, is it something a new starter should attempt?

What base will I need? Will I need supports?

Has anyone ever used a Bricky wall building tool?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
Unless the wall is very well sheltered it will need to be thicker at the base than 21cm. You shouldn't really go more than 1.5m at 21cm wide.

I just want to say its not as easy as it looks and you really should consider paying someone to lay them.
ive seen the bricky thing on tv, they look slow to use and im not convinced its as easy as they make it look either,
never used one though, but why would I when I am a brickie lol

Go back to Wickes and ask them if their tills underestimate prices too.

You'll need twice as many bricks for a wall that thick. Plus another 200-300 in the ground, plus concrete, plus sand and cement. So perhaps 3x as costly as you thought.

And you'll need four piers for strength, or steel reinforcement. Plus something to stand on for once you get past chest height. Finally, this will be a party fence wall, so strictly you'll need a Party Wall Agreement in place with the neighbour.

The Bricky is for building BBQs badly and messy only.

Sponsored Links
ok, what is the estimated cost for a builder to do this then?

Your biggest enemy is the need for tools. 1.8m level, mixer, brick trowel, jointing tool, (preferably) wall profile set. All cost money.

Have those though and building walls can be very satisfying. I'm currently 4 courses up my first wall and surprised how good it looks. Take your time, slice (very important word) excess mortar of the bricks, use a thick mortar which doesn't run, wait for mortar to go off a bit before jointing (a common mistake), and watch YouTube religiously.

Oh and don't buy a Bricky. It looks like a pile of poo.

there are 120 bricks per m2 in a 9 inch brick wall, so a wall 2 metres high 11.5 metres long would be 2760 bricks not including bricks for piers. so probably
be looking at around 3000 bricks. foundation i would do a 450mm wide 225mm depth and 11.5 metre long trench needing 1.164 m3 in concrete.
plus sand, cement etc.

for wickes to say 1300 bricks needed i think what they have done is calculated for a 4 inch thick wall which would be 60 bricks per m2 which would give you 1380 bricks needed.

Attachments

• Screenshots_2015-06-20-13-08-23.png
    Screenshots_2015-06-20-13-08-23.png
    782.2 KB · Views: 147
easi wall looks good, will investigate. i've been quoted upto 8K +vat!!

It will take you a long time, work on 50 bricks/hour (all in). Costs, cement mixer £200, 2m level £40, 9" level £5, get a small/medium trowel (not a 16" one, say 13/12"), a couple of buckets and most importently some 9mm thick beading by say 20mm, cut it up into 20 odd 6" lengths. Select your sand, you need soft sand, get a nice colour cos' there will be a lot of mortar courses!!, get a couple of clear plastic measuring jugs, one litre squat and 1 litre tall. I buy my sand in bags, because you can use a whole bag of sand, 3 1/2 litres of cement toss then in the mixer with the gaged amount of water and plasticiser. Go away and sort some bricks out/have a cup of tea. .. then your mortar will be ready.
To go. . ..
String up the whole line at a distance of 6mm from the front face of the wall. This so if you hit the string you will have to fiddle about at the ends to get it right again., lay your bricks out over the length, using the 9mm bits of wood to get your vertical spacing, work out where your cut bricks and piers are. Set a corner brick up on some 9mm spacers, go along with your long level and set another brick up on spacers at 2mm distance work this way down the length to make sure that the foundations are not running out. use thick mortar/packing on first course to get the top of the first course level.
Start laying mortar for the second brick, using the "spacered" bricks as your reference, use the short level to make sure that your bricks are good front to back. Don't worry about sorting the pointing until you have finished a course, its easier if the pointing has gone off a bit. As you proceed you will be establishing you horizontal reference. If you search around for a 6mm striking tool, then putting a little mortar on you trowel, smooth it into a flat lump about 10mm thick and with your striking tool you can tart up your perpendicular joints. Once you have done the wall, go back and finish of the end bricks using the existing bricks as your reference.
The wetness of the mortar is difficult to describe. It should be like soft margarine (I think), some brickies use a much drier mix, which means you can proceed faster.
As soon as you have used the last of your mortar from the mixer (about two bucketfuls), put half a bucket of water in it and some large pebbles and switch it on to clean it. When the noise drives you crazy, tip the lot out and leave inverted for it to drip dry.
A wall this size is quite a task for a noob, but if you don't rush it the results should be OK.
Frank

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back