Building a wall

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Is it possible to build a wall 5 ft high by 2 ft wide?

Thanks

Sponsored Links
I got the measurements wrong, it would be 0.75 ft wide by 6ft high, is that possible? it would be against a brick wall, I can supply pictures if that helps?

thanks

Sponsored Links
You mean a 9" wall. Why up against another wall? What's the existing wall built from, and how thick/high/long?
It will need a foundation of sorts, which will mean exposing the foundation of the existing wall unless it's extra wide.

No exactly sure what this wall is for, care to elaborate?

I want to put a gate up, the gate is 3.58 wide, I wanted it centre, so wanted to build up a bit of wall each side

1z5t6p3.jpg

Wouldnt it be easier just to build some kind of wooden filler structure?

Lets see if we can get this right. In your first two posts you are talking old money, feet and inches. Now 0.75ft is 9 inches. So you want two piers 9ins wide.
Okay so far? Now in your third post you say gate is 3.58 wide. That reads metric measurement and that is one hell of a wide gate.
Now I take it the gate is to go in the passageway as shown in photo. Now it would appear that there are 2 number 600mm slabs and about 150mm gap which gives you about 1.350 wide passage, take away two piers at 225mm wide. leaves you 900mm wide, which is a standard measure for a side gate.
Now to get your measure of 3.58 what I think you have done is measured 35 and 8/16 which is 35and1/2 which is 900mm.
Check your gate size fellow, come back with right size and will tell you what to do.
You must be a mate of Freddy, he lives in Devon.
old un.

You must be a mate of Freddy, he lives in Devon.
Hey, I wasn't born here! :D

Still don't know what the reference to 3.58 is! What is the gap between the walls? Looks to be around 1300mm in which case you'll end up with about a bricks width of wall each side of the posts! Would be a bit odd don't you think? I think I'd just fix the posts to each wall and buy a wider gate.

Okay tellyman, We have established that your gate is 1.850 high by 900mm wide. Still can not understand how you arrived at 3.58. I do know from experience that the scrumpy down there can have devastating effects at times.
I am sorry to be a pain, but I am only guessing the width of passage way. Could you please give the exact width either metric or imperial, I don’t mind.
Hey Freddy, I was in Lympston and Bickleigh drinking scrumpy in 1955. If you know what is at Lympstone and Bickleigh then you will know what I was doing in two big s**t holes. When in Lympstone we used to drink in Exeter or Exmouth, but were not welcome in either and at Bickleigh Union Street in Plymouth. I bet that’s changed some to what I can remember.
old un.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back