Building a workbench.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm going to build a work bench tomorrow and am thinking of using 3x3 fence posts as legs with some 4x1 timber to build the shape/support.

Has anyone built their own workbench, what did you do?

Sponsored Links
Mine was built completely from spare timebr 4x2 uprights and frame, mdf top and base, three draws from old kitchen unit and mounted on 4inch locking castors. A couple of double sockets [from desks in the office] mounted on one leg for convenient power source as have a grinder on one corner used mainly for sharpening tools.Metal working vice on one side and woodworking vice on the other.

With benches, generally the heavier they are the better, depending on what you're going to use them for. 1 inch sounds light for the top to me. I'd want 2" thickness if possible. Just in case I ever had to hammer on it. . . :)

I'd cover the top with hardboard or something as well. Easy to change when it gets grotty.

Mine is 4 x 4 timber legs and frame with two 18mm sheets of ply (had it spare).
Various compartments from off cuts at back to wall for screws nails ect ( in old jam jars for size sorting).
Sockets along the side, out of the way of damage.

Sponsored Links
Recycling and using what you've got is a good idea. I've got a "proper" beech woodworkers bench I made myself, from when I used to make hardwood furniture. When I wanted drawers underneath it though I rescued them from an old sideboard and cut them down to fit.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back