Building an extension

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I am contemplating building a 5m x 6.5m sloped roof extension to house a 'pool room' (balls, not water!). I have limited building experience, but am considering tackling some of the tasks myself and employing tradesmen on a day rate for things like bricking up. This is partly a cost saving exercise and partly because I want to learn how to do it.

Can anyone recommend a book which would give me a good understanding of what is involved? In particular; foundations, DPC, drainage, guttering and the initial timber frame for the roof.

Thanks,
Darren

Sponsored Links
The Building Construction Handbook by Chudley and Greeno is an excellent book which describes and illustrates all essential aspects of building in an easy to read and understand format.

The latest is the 6th Edition 2006, but earlier versions are just as good but may not have the latest regualtions.

^woody^ said:
The Building Construction Handbook by Chudley and Greeno is an excellent book which describes and illustrates all essential aspects of building in an easy to read and understand format.

The latest is the 6th Edition 2006, but earlier versions are just as good but may not have the latest regualtions.

...yeah, written by Chud (woody) Greeno. :LOL:

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back