Extension costs for 2 storey rear

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
We were originally planning a large single storey extension as we have an L shaped house and were going to fill the part which has the void in the L shape.

My architect suggested doing a two storey extension will bring a better balance to the house and looking visually better. I do agree but am wondering about the cost.

Because of the 45 degree rule, we are unlikely to be able to complete fill the void and match the depth of the existing house. We might get 5m width (out of 6.5m) and around 3m (instead of 4.4m depth) deep. He has suggested with a new roof above etc it will come to circa. £25k (but I'm not sure if that cost is just the upper floor and roof) on top of the lower ground floor extension part.

Does this make it a very expensive extension for that amount of space? Is that a good amount of space would you say?

Sponsored Links
A 5m x 3m two storey extension will cost upwards of £30k for the building work. finishes i.e. bathroom, WC, utility, etc will cost more as will the plumbing and electrics.

Sponsored Links
As in value for money. It's not really a large size 1st floor, does the cost justify it.

As in value for money. It's not really a large size 1st floor, does the cost justify it.
Eh? You tell me. :confused:

These are questions you should be asking yourself not the builder. The figures I have given you are ball park at best and in no way should be taken as a final quotation as I have absolutely no idea of the content or logistics pertaining to your project.

Get three quotes and compare. Then YOU decide if it is value for money or whether the extra space is worth it. I have no clue what property values are in your area or what is currently desirable regards extended properties.

Can't reads minds either.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back