Single storey extension flat roof height

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi I am planning on a single storey rear extension filling in the L shape quite straight forward with a flat roof but the problem is I have a low window for the stairwell in the corner which restricts how I build the warm flat roof I planned , can I hang the roof joists lower to keep the deck down giving me the space for the roof and pitch ? I will post a section up f what I mean soon

Attachments

• IMG_5677.JPG
    IMG_5677.JPG
    97.4 KB · Views: 497
Sponsored Links
If you hang your roof joists lower, you'll lower your ceiling height - no? A possible option is to go for a cold roof instead of a warm roof where you insulate between the joists. That way it's not as tall as a warm roof and you loose no ceiling height. But I'm told they're not as good as a warm roof.....

Or reduce the size of the stairwell window?

Thanks for the reply I am not to concerned with the lower ceiling height I wanted to avoid adjusting the window if possible,in regards to a cold roof I did consider it but i thought a warm roof would be better

Sponsored Links
Basically I have 525mm from existing lintel to the window , so when I build up and have new doors I think my cavity lintel will be about 225mm high leaving me 300mm and 150mm will be taken by joist height leaving only 150 for insulation and board/pitch, that's why I thought having the Lintel with 1 course of blocks above then hanging the joists down but this also concerns me as the joist won't sit past the outer skin giving a issue forming the fascia

You can't have a cold roof, because you can't ventilate it easily.

Without knowing any spans, is hard to determine joist depth and say how much you have to play with.

You don't have to worry about taking joists through to the outside, as that can be designed out

What distance do you have from the door heads to the ceiling?

From door head there is currently about 225mm to ceiling the depth of the new extension will be no more than 3250mm but I may bring it in to 3000mm if it keeps the joist size down

So you have 2600mm from floor to the window height.
6x2 is fine at 400c
So 150 joist, 18 deck, 150 insulation, you might get away with 50mm slope (I'd do at least 100), 12 pb
So that leaves you a ceiling height of 2.2m-2.1m
So it is possible but cosy.

Rough sketch added is this feasible as I really wanted to leave the window alone
If not it will have to be cold deck

Attachments

• IMG_5678.JPG
    IMG_5678.JPG
    80.2 KB · Views: 319
Just going by that sketch, I think it would look crap. Change the landing window, or alternatively agree a roof construction with the inspector that involves complete insualtion within the joists and a little beneath - just like a SIPS panel roof.

I spoke to a labc inspector today where I work he said go with a cold roof with possibly 50mm insulation on top of the deck he recommended felt over rubber Edpm which I was going for ? I thought the rubber would be better ?
The inspector said I would need to retain a air void with the cold roof and not to fully fill

It's difficult to ventilate a cold roof in that situation. Not impossible just awkward.

Not sure what that inspector is thinking when he suggests insulating a cold roof deck. That's a warm roof!

I know it should be vented back to front ideally but would a few pipe type vents on the roof do the job ?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back