Building around chimney

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Planning a side extension on house below

As you can see the chimney is on the side.

I was planning to only have the extension down the side to within 50cm of the chimney

However, do you think it would be a good idea to build around the chimney so the build went a couple of meters beyond and run almost the full side of house?

Due to the drop in ground the floor would then become part concrete slab, and part suspended timber (at the far end in pic)

Sponsored Links
However, do you think it would be a good idea to build around the chimney so the build went a couple of meters beyond and run almost the full side of house?
Yes, why not?

Encompassing a chimney would mean a wee bit more faffing about with timber trimming, roof tile cutting and flashing etc, but no great shakes.

I'm more interested in your proposals to prop that wall whilst you dig the found's. :p I hope it isn't retaining anything on the other side.... :eek:

Yes I'll need to give that some thought!

It's not retaining and doesn't have any underground foundation.

That's actually an issue, the ground is almost solid rock in part(actually have a photo from a garden wall foundation I dug which shows this), so digging the foundation for this will be a nightmare.
If I have to go down a meter or so I'd say it's impossible.

Do I just need to get a building inspector out to asses the ground and advise on depth?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back