Building Controls - Have I contravened them?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
What a mine of information this forum is :eek: We moved into our 1930s detached house eight years ago and to be honest the place was a disaster zone and we have extensively redecorated, wallpapered, carpetted etc.

Our downstairs bathroom had a sort of cupboard space behind the door which we converted to a simple gravity shower tapping into the existing adjacent hot/cold plumbing, the drain simply exits through an external wall and gravity drains into an existing outside drain - the white pipework has about a five foot run externally. We also fitted a shower vent/light and tapped into the existing wiring from the light switch.

Before we moved in the Garage had long been converted into a utility room with plumbing for a washing machine and tumble dryer over which was a standard sink and worktop - It made sense to use this as a kitchen and we had a gas fitter route a 22mm pipe into the area and fitted a large range cooker, All of the electric sockets were refitted to their original locations using the existing wiring, the tumble dryer is now a dishwasher. The cooker has a hood fitted but does not extract to outside (carbon filters)

I am now concerned that when we come to sell in a few years that we might have some problems with building regulations.

What can you advise?

Sponsored Links
Using the space as a kitchen makes it no different to a utility room as it must still meet regulations.

As you have since altered the room and its function, then you are responsible.

The cooker hood should vent externally.

Is the thermal aspect up to spec?

Your extract doesn't have to vent externally if its a recirculating type - but on the bigger subject - yes the conversion of the garage ( albeit with a washing machine etc in it) into a kitchen will need Building warrant approval.
The new layout will need shown and you'll need to prove that elecs / ventilation / insulation etc are all in compliance with the current regs.
I'd give your local Building Control a call and explain - they'll advise an application, and upon gaining a Building warrant, an application for Completion certificate - thats the bit the lawyers want when you come to sell.
Think the addition of a shower is probably OK - but if you are drawing up plans for the kitchen anyway - best to include it.

I inferred that the c/h should vent externally otherwise a separate extractor will be necessary.

Sponsored Links
Erm, yes in just about every way possible.
Your extract doesn't have to vent externally if its a recirculating type
To comply with current Building Regs. a kitchen must have forced extraction to an external wall; a recirculation cooker hood can be fitted (if you can find one now!) but, on it’s own, it will not meet BR requirements south of the border; don’t know about Scotland!

All of the other work should have been carried out in accordance with Building Regulations with regard to drainage, electrics, insulation & ventilation to name just a few & you should ideally have compliance/completion certificates for any work carried out since 1999 or you could well have problems when you sell. There is a post approval process called regularisation;
http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/en...proval/bregspresiteapprvl/bregsregularisation

this will cost more than the original Building Submissions process would have, you may well have to expose certain elements for inspection & will obviously have to put right anything that doesn’t comply. Building Warrants are specific to & only apply in Scotland as far as I’m aware.

Hmm - Doesn't look to good then :( Just to clarify, the garage had already been fully converted to a utility room before I purchased the property, this includes a brick wall and window in lieu of the garage door which I assume has full approval, my only addition is that of a gas cooker.

:( Just to clarify, the garage had already been fully converted to a utility room before I purchased the property, this includes a brick wall and window in lieu of the garage door which I assume has full approval, my only addition is that of a gas cooker.
You can’t assume anything; did you, your surveyor or lender check before you bought the property? Do you have any paperwork for Planning Permission or BR approval? You may well find that your conversion is non compliant in many areas; you wont get hung, drawn & quartered for it but it won’t add & may well reduce the value of your property! “Caveat Emptor” (buyer beware) used to rule in almost all aspects of life but, increasingly, regulatory restrictions are being introduced intended to minimise the problems associated with cowboy builders, rip off merchants, DIY’ers & chancer’s who continue to undertake restricted/notifyable building work without giving a stuff for the Regs. I’m not saying you fall into that category as many suffer due to complete ignorance but I think many just fancy chancing it!

Unfortunately/fortunately (depending on your viewpoint :LOL: :cry: ) things have changed dramatically in the last few years & it’s getting increasingly difficult to pass off/ignore unauthorised building works (what you have) at point of sale as lenders are now wising up & won’t advance the loan if anything untoward is reported by HIPS or survey. You may well have inherited the previous owner’s misdemeanours but you’ve also compounded them; an uncertified gas installation is probably the worst of the lot, it can be extremely dangerous & regarded as a cardinal sin! I think your best approach would be to the Regularisation route while you’re still in there with time to spare. Your situation can only get worse if you intend to sell up in the next 5 years IMO; unless you feel lucky. ;)

Thanks for the info - My gas pipe was installed by a Corgi registered engineer, the cooker was a straightforward bayonet connection.

I think I need to talk to the planning department.

My gas pipe was installed by a Corgi registered engineer, the cooker was a straightforward bayonet connection.
Of course you’re allowed to connect a simple gas bayonet but do you have a certificate of compliance for the installation that proves it’s been carried out & tested by a registered gas installer?
I think I need to talk to the planning department.
To repeat noseall’s comment, why planning? they will be of no use to you. If part of what’s been done required Planning Permission, they may ask you to submit a retrospective application but unless the original work was done in recent years & is of significance, they may not even be bothered. It’s the building work itself that’s likely to be in contravention of Building Regulations & the two are completely separate. You need to speak to your Local Authority Building Control dept; unfortunately Planning cannot legitimise non compliant Building Works, only LABC can do that.

The Building Control department is usually within Planning so it's all the same :p

Building control and Planning may be in the same building and that is it.

They are absolutely not the same.

As far as a customer is concerned just because he has planning permission does not mean that he will be in cahoots with building control and vice versa.

Building control and planning will not automatically get together on your behalf and are not one big happy family.

The reason i asked 'why' to the question of planning regarding the op's situation was that it is wholly a building control matter and nowt to do with planning.

Erhhh I know that. I worked in Building Control for three years. It was just a general sweeping statement and even though dwaviation mentioned Planning, he meant Building Control.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back