Building floor above stairwell - wall plates/joist hangers?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi All

I am working on building a floor above our basement stairwell to use the wasted void as a larder.
I had to attach the wall plates on the timber's shortest side to clear the bottom of the door at top of stairwell, the mini hangers I have bought are now a little long. So 2 questions;

1. Are these wall plates acceptable fixed like this, I have hung my bodyweight off them and they appear very strong. M10 150mm long rawlbolts were used.

2. Can I get away with not fitting twisty nails into the two bottom fixing holes from the hangers?

Picture attached for context.
I hope that makes sense, TIA!

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.png
    thumbnail_image0.png
    3.9 MB · Views: 88
Sponsored Links
What size timbers and what span / centers?
Looks like a 3x2?
AFAIK all twisty nails should be used.
Is the floor to stand on, or, is it more of a cupboard larder

Timbers are 3x2 yes but fitted with short side to the wall... bolts are 400mm centres.
It is a floor to stand on but only ever with one person at a time, to just grab a tin of beans here and there.

I already have twisty nails so no problems there, just concerned about the shear strength being sufficient with 2 less nails...

Happy to use new hangers if need be, was just struggling to find ones that are 45mmish tall.

Cheers

Sponsored Links
just to put your mind at rest because its a perhaps 27"/700mm span perhaps 90% off the weight will be in shear as in trying to cut the nail like a pair off scissors or a guillotine so a single nail will probably happily take your weight so no problem with 3 per end
another choice is a ladder frame that will not need notching in for the joist bottoms each end

just to put your mind at rest because its a perhaps 27"/700mm span perhaps 90% off the weight will be in shear as in trying to cut the nail like a pair off scissors or a guillotine so a single nail will probably happily take your weight so no problem with 3 per end
another choice is a ladder frame that will not need notching in for the joist bottoms each end

Cheers for the reassurance it is indeed 700mm span, I am sure my bodgery will hold up I just wanted to know the "right" way. (The missus still thinks she will find me at bottom of stairs with broken legs :whistle:)

Not sure I quite understand the ladder frame, also I haven't notched anything... from this stage I was just going to fit the noggins/mini joists at 400mm? centres, then glue & screw chipboard on top.

Attached is a picture to better see what I am crafting :LOL:

Attachments

• thumbnail_image0.jpg
    thumbnail_image0.jpg
    51.6 KB · Views: 68
You'd have been better off with the hangars, or even a couple of lengths of angle iron, screwed straight to the wall. It won't fall down though. Make sure your chipboard runs across the short span if it's only 600mm wide.

How are you going to either get down the stairs or get onto the platform?

You'd have been better off with the hangars, or even a couple of lengths of angle iron, screwed straight to the wall. It won't fall down though. Make sure your chipboard runs across the short span if it's only 600mm wide.

How are you going to either get down the stairs or get onto the platform?

Wish I had asked here before haha, would've saved myself a load of faff! Note taken about the chipboard.

I am planning on flooring the entire area and framing out a hatch for basement access, something like this.
4a04d672a8966930347f75a69132bcf0.jpg

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back