Building inspection - roof structure not as per plan

Noseall.
The joiner apparently spoke with the BCO about laying the hip rafter on the old roof, rather than removing the old roof completely and building from scratch, and the BCO said that'd be fine.

The decision was made by the joiner. First I saw of it was when the timber arrived. I noticed it was 160mm instead of 200 and spoke to the SE about it. He said it would still be okay. Of course he didn't know the design was going to be so different to his drawings.

I'm guessing that the BCO didn't know the joiner had bought, or was planning to buy, 160mm timbers, and was fitting them at 600ctrs.

Ronnie,
There are vertical ties on every rafter, right the way round the roof. The ties are sitting on double 50x200s on the front and back, and on single 50x200s@600oc along the side of the house. What complicates things, in my head, is that this is a 1-3/4 storey building from the ridge forward and a 2-storey building to the rear, so the joists forward of the ridge are basically bolted back onto the rafter (the same rafters that they are supporting - so no single timber can really be considered in isolation.)

The span of the joists is less than 5.5m, I went from memory on that, and got it wrong. The distance from the old side wall of my house (on which one end of the joists are supported (via an additional timber frame as the granite only comes up 3/4 way up the wall) and the new outside wall (where the rafters are nailed on) is actually 4.6m. The actual span of the double joist is 4m before it contacts the supporting rafter, as the first floor bedroom has a 600mm deep inlay on front and side ceilings.

For the rear half of the side of the house, the reverse is true. Rather than the rafters descending beyond the end of the joists as they do on the front half, the rear half is fully two storey. BUT, in order to maintian the slope of the roof across the whole roof face, the rafters in this case are bolted down to the joists, which extend right across from our old granite side wall to the new side wall (timber frame). As this would mean the rafters don't meet the wall head, we have put a catslide dormer across these areas, reducing the pitch.

I've linked to the SE plan here.
www.guycarnegie.com/plans/10.32-8215-02.pdf

It's a real head scratcher for sure how to sort it out now for minimum cash and disruption to the family living underneath!

PS I just found out what a flitch beam is, and it's not what's been used for my hips for sure.

Maybe I should just leave the engineer and joiner to sort it out? My life is stressful enough just now without having to sort out other peoples screw ups

Sponsored Links
Noseall.
The joiner apparently spoke with the BCO about laying the hip rafter on the old roof, rather than removing the old roof completely and building from scratch, and the BCO said that'd be fine.

The decision was made by the joiner. First I saw of it was when the timber arrived. I noticed it was 160mm instead of 200 and spoke to the SE about it. He said it would still be okay. Of course he didn't know the design was going to be so different to his drawings.

I'm guessing that the BCO didn't know the joiner had bought, or was planning to buy, 160mm timbers, and was fitting them at 600ctrs.
Building a 'lay roof' is fairly typical so no worries there.

However, many bco's are not qualified to overrule an S.E. so the timber downgrade part of the job would have required a lot of conversation and not just "oh that will be ok".

Why is the roof boarded out? it looks pukka but a bit out of time and costly, very few of the rafters are full length, does that alter the calcs and the hip looks altered in the picture,? What counrty is the chippie from his work looks OK but it looks a bit other country for the want of better words ,this might explain a lot.

Sponsored Links
So is this a Scottish roof? People in Scotland will have strong roofs that take a lot of snow and wind loading,

I've linked to the SE plan here.
www.guycarnegie.com/plans/10.32-8215-02.pdf

It's a real head scratcher for sure how to sort it out now for minimum cash and disruption to the family living underneath!

PS I just found out what a flitch beam is, and it's not what's been used for my hips for sure.

Maybe I should just leave the engineer and joiner to sort it out? My life is stressful enough just now without having to sort out other peoples screw ups
I think you need to go back to your SE, tell him what has been built, pay him some more money and ask him for the most economical solution to your problem.

I think you are going to need some extra support at loft floor level. I very much doubt the double 200x50 is sufficient, but once you have a sufficiently sized member there, then your SE should be able to show that the rafters, when supported mid span, are strong enough.

The hips will need to be similarly supported...

Okay, Had architect and SE here this morning.

They want me to insert additional rafters in-between the existing rafters so they are at 300 ctrs. More accurage measurement showed that they were 170x45@600, which is what was in the "construction details" on the architects plan. The SE drawing showed a different size, and the joiner has followed the architects plan.

So I guess it's just an awkward mixup which I'm going to have to sort out.

I also need to put 10mm thick steel plates into the hip rafters to make them flitch rafters, which could be fun! Gonna have to cut back the jacks to get them in!

Going to use two 5mm x 200mm plates at 4.6m length and somehoe get them up into the loft.

At least I still have two years before the warrant runs out!

This post raises the perennial problem of the hip rafter. I may have been away when we did them but I have never come across any structural calcs for hip rafters.
Contrary to what many inspectors seem to believe, they do not 'push out' at the corner; they are also propped by the rafters both sides. The depth of the hip seems to be a function of the depth of the rafters or purlins, rather than related to the span.

You're correct, they will not push out at the corners if the roof is adequately tied. If it's not, then all the arguing in the world will not change the fact that thrust forces have to go somewhere and the roof will likely spread until it generated another loadpath / geometric lock.

If you don't believe this, cut the hip and if you do manage this without the saw binding, pop back in a while to see if the cut has moved and closed up.

Chartered Structural Engineer
www.rivergate.co.uk
www.structuralengineersgrantham.co.uk

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back