Building Materials for use with Concrete Floor

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello

We have come across a beautiful little house but the downstairs floors have previously been flooded.

It was spongy to walk on and the flooring appeared to be made up like this:

A type of hardboard on top, underneath 'some sort of polystyrene' about 6 inches thick. Underneath that - solid concrete.

Has anyone come across this type of flooring before - is it likely to be expensive? Any ideas where I can get it?

Also, what is the purpose of this type of flooring - would it be for extra insulation?

Many thanks for advice.

Sponsored Links
Before asking how do I fix it, I would be more concerned that it hasn't been fixed already. Is this house up for sale complete with flood damage? If so why hasn't the previous owner had it fixed under their insurance?

If you buy the house as seen then you could be inheriting much more then just spongy floors and will you ever be able to insure it at all?

Hopefully you have already considered all this but I would be running away unless this house is a serious bargain .... and even then I think I would still run away.

Hi

The house is for sale at an auction. Sellers are the executors. The leak happened during probate.

Any info on my original questions?

Many thanks
Claytop

Sounds to me like a typical chipboard 'floating' floor.

Cheap as chips and available at any DIY store or builders merchants.

Sponsored Links
Sorry but when you said 'flooded' it sounded like it had been affected by all the recent flooding problems. Clearly a leak is less of a concern with regard to the building integrity and fixing the floor should be relatively easy as suggested above.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back