Building Noob - Need Some Advice

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello Everyone,

I am looking for a bit (ok, maybe a lot) of advice. I am a fairly practical person, I can fix a computer, a car, put together IKEA flatpack furniture without swearing etc. :D

Since the start of the pandemic, I, like a lot of people have been having to work from home. I have 2 young children and we don't live in a massive house, so I find myself spending half of my Teams meetings apologising for the background noise. At this time, fortunately everyone understands and accepts this. I have now been told that even when lockdown restrictions are lifted, our team will continue to work remotely. I am now looking for a more permanent home working solution, where I can focus and be more professional (or at least appear that way :D).

I am therefore considering a garden office. We don't have loads of money to splash on having something professionally built, so I am hoping I can do the majority of the building myself, only using professionals for things like the electrics.

The size of the building overall will be 6m wide by 3.5m deep, with a pent roof. I am hoping that if I keep the maximum height to 2.5m, then it can fall within permitted development. I will get confirmation before starting building anyway.

I have considered both wooden and brick buildings and am leaning more towards brick.

The problem I have is, that I understand the basic concept of building; dig foundations, damp proof course, levelled concrete floor, block inner with brick outer and insulation in between etc., but I have no idea how deep foundations need to be, how thick the concrete floor should be, how many blocks & bricks I need, the amount of cement required between the bricks, how to leave spaces for the door and windows, the space required for insulation, type of blocks/bricks (aerated / hollow) etc. I have so many questions, that it is starting to put me off before I have begun o_O

Has anyone else tackled a project like this? Any idea of the overall costs? Any idea about some of the questions above?

Any advice you can give me is greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks,

John

Last edited:
Sponsored Links
why not go for a mix of timber and brick.

do the first 2-3 courses in brick, then dpc and then timber frame from there.

unless you good at bricking, doing a hybrid may best suit your budget.

I’m planning on doing the same at some point. The way I’d do it, is build up to dpc (finished floor) level in masonry and pour a slab as sxturbo says, and timber frame on top, because I’ve done it before and know it. But a lot of these cabins I see, seem to be timber frame down to the ground, not sure how that works

Sponsored Links
I’m planning on doing the same at some point. The way I’d do it, is build up to dpc (finished floor) level in masonry and pour a slab as sxturbo says, and timber frame on top, because I’ve done it before and know it. But a lot of these cabins I see, seem to be timber frame down to the ground, not sure how that works
I think the biggest mistake folk make in this instance, is when they lay a shed type slab on the ground and expect to plonk their structure straight on that. Then wonder why they get damp from the projecting toe and rotten floor bearer timbers.

Personally I would go for timber frame, flat roof (you need plenty of insulation in the roof and in the floor - which eats into your 2.5m), cement board cladding - looks good, easy DIY and fire resistant if your building is near boundary. A good insulated timber floor, protected from damp. Mis-measured/surplus windows and doors can be sourced from eBay very cheaply. With some care this could be achieved in the low thousands and built properly will feel like a building, not a garden shed.

Personally I would go for timber frame, flat roof (you need plenty of insulation in the roof and in the floor - which eats into your 2.5m), cement board cladding - looks good, easy DIY and fire resistant if your building is near boundary. A good insulated timber floor, protected from damp. Mis-measured/surplus windows and doors can be sourced from eBay very cheaply. With some care this could be achieved in the low thousands and built properly will feel like a building, not a garden shed.

I've just read your post above mine and it looks like I copied it! I honestly didn't, great minds and all that.......

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back