Building on top of a sewer line.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hello all,
I am considering building a single storey extension to my house. My foul sewer line runs under where I plan to build the extension. I cannot move the line due to space issues. The sewer line is not shared by another house.

Are there any regulations that prevent me building on top of this sewer line?

Regards

Steve

Read more: //www.diynot.com/forums/buildi...of-a-sewer-line.308866/#2266469#ixzz1k5s2hSN5

Sponsored Links
If you can't move the sewer then move the extension either in or out.

You can build so that the wall is directly over the line but the wall would need to be suspended by a complex set of steels and bearing pads.

At no time can you simply just throw a load of concrete over the pipe and place the extension directly upon the pipe.

Hi

I have came across this problem on a few jobs as the guy sayas above move the extension in or out to avoid the pipe thats simplest and cheapest option.

Ive had to suspend the steels around it and it can get quite tricky.

Ive also had to dig 2 foundations one on either side of it and put lintols acorss the top of the pipe bearing on both foundations

lastly depending on size of sewer line ive also been instructed to incase it in concrete prior to building.

dont like last option but was instructed by architect and local authority at the time.

Let me know how you get on

Hi

I have came across this problem on a few jobs as the guy sayas above move the extension in or out to avoid the pipe thats simplest and cheapest option.

Ive had to suspend the steels around it and it can get quite tricky.

Ive also had to dig 2 foundations one on either side of it and put lintols acorss the top of the pipe bearing on both foundations

lastly depending on size of sewer line ive also been instructed to incase it in concrete prior to building.

dont like last option but was instructed by architect and local authority at the time.

Let me know how you get on

www.desperate-builders.co.uk
Please contribute something to the forum rather than spamming it! ;)

Sponsored Links

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back