Building opening in wall near corner.

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, what is the minimum distance you can build a window opening to a corner of a wall. Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Have a walk down the street and see just how many older houses have a window or door right on the corner ...... and marvel at how the house magically stays up!

I've never understood this bit of b/regs nonsense for the requirement of calcs. In fact, it would be a challenge to produce calcs that do not confirm that the corner is stable

In practical terms, you only need about 200mm internally for the curtains

Sponsored Links
Woody is right.

we have built structures with smaller returns but with plenty of 'meat' on the adjacent wall, lending robustness. if there is another opening fairly close to the proposed, then i would be cautious.

wind loading is also factored in as well as structural integrity/robustness.

The minimum distance from the outside corner to the opening is governed by a calculation using a number of factors, most of which overly complicate things! A basic calculation can be made by dividing the width of the opening by 6; but there is also a minimum dimension of 665mm from the outside corner of the wall to inside edge of the opening so as long as your window isn’t approaching 4m wide, this will be OK. The corresponding internal dimension will depend on the width of your wall.

Generally the openings in a building are in line vertically, so it's a good idea to consider the visual impact as well as the structural component of whatever you are planning.

Just been through a similar issue on an extension that has just been approved by BC. Integral garage had garage door opening adjacent to 9m long wall. Minimum INTERNAL return to opening had to be 550mm, otherwise would have had to build in a structural 'wind post' in the corner. See page 25 of Approved Document A - Structure. Not sure if the same applies to window openings as it does door openings.

Generally the openings in a building are in line vertically, so it's a good idea to consider the visual impact as well as the structural component of whatever you are planning.
Couldn’t agree more; I’ve just spent a reasonable sum of money moving 2 bedroom windows form a side “next door’s house” view into what was a slab of a gable end which overlooked a beautiful garden; the original architect obviously had his HUHA & failed to appreciate what a difference this would make! Its South facing so also makes a huge difference to the light & there is just so much more a sense of “well being” when your now in the 2 back bedrooms! Best money I’ve spent on this 60’s resto so far & when you walk up from the bottom of the garden (it’s big), the balanced, visual difference is amazing to what it looked like before; even our surveyors report when we bought the place 3 years ago included the words “nice garden, shame about the slab gable end”!

Hi

I have a door opening in a new construction that is 500mm for the corner rather than the 665mm building control requirement, how would I calculate that this is OK

Thanks

Hi

I have a door opening in a new construction that is 500mm for the corner rather than the 665mm building control requirement, how would I calculate that this is OK

Thanks

Are you a structural engineer?

If not then i suggest you hire one.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back