Building Regs and foundations....

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Ok, so I know we're in a little over our depths but my husband is converting a detached double garage into a bungalow-type dwelling.

We've applied for building regs, change of use, etc. and he's an experienced labourer so we do have some knowledge (and will be using professionals where we are in doubt.

The one question we can't seem to get answered though is regarding the foundations. Could anyone let us know the required depth of foundations or prod us in the right direction for finding out?

Many thanks!
Sam

Sponsored Links
Im afraid this is not a question that can be answered without knowing the ground conditions. There is many ways of constructing foundations (pad, raft, strip) but the type to use will mainly depend on the loadings of the structure and the state of the ground.

If this is a new building you need to remember that planning permision will be needed and if it is going to be lived in, a building inspector will more than likely need to look at various stages of the construction, especially the foundations.

The best way to tackle this is to get a structural engineer to look at the plans and work out what you need, calculating loads is a very complex procedure. Doing this will aslo result in less cost if the foundations are under engineered and subsidendce occurs.

If you are converting, with no new external walls, then you don't have to touch the foundations

Otherwise assume 1m if you are in normal ground

Sponsored Links
If you are converting, with no new external walls, then you don't have to touch the foundations

Otherwise assume 1m if you are in normal ground

Wish the engineers i worked with were as easy as you, how can you tell someone who obviously isnt too sure about foundations "1m". 1m what? width? depth? what about the type of concrete? Whats normal ground conditions? granular, cohesive, clay, sand?

Wish the engineers i worked with were as easy as you,

how can you tell someone who obviously isnt too sure about foundations "1m". 1m what? width? depth?

Let me see, what was the OP's question again .... "Could anyone let us know the required depth of foundations" :rolleyes:

I hope your engineers are more observant than you :p

touché my friend. Point still remains that you should'nt really suggest a depth of a foundation of the top of your head

touché my friend. Point still remains that you should'nt really suggest a depth of a foundation of the top of your head

Are you on summat Rob?

1m depth (min) found's is an accepted norm provided that the ground conditions satisfy simple criteria:

A. The ground is non-fertile, i.e. no dark vegetable matter.

B. The ground is firm virgin earth and is unlikely to change at depth.

What else do you need to know? :rolleyes:

Are you on summat Rob?

1m depth (min) found's is an accepted norm provided that the ground conditions satisfy simple criteria:

A. The ground is non-fertile, i.e. no dark vegetable matter.

B. The ground is firm virgin earth and is unlikely to change at depth.

What else do you need to know? :rolleyes:

Sorry, i must of missed the detailed condition of the ground in the OP, and the 1m depth "min" out of the suggestion. Loadings not come into play with your fail safe method?

The OP obviously does not have a lot of knowledge in this area, to suggest a solution with out the details is irresponsible

If you think that the only ground conditions to look for im are the two mentioned and "1m will do" im affraid its you thats deluded. :rolleyes:

Love is in the air
Everywhere I look around
Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound

And I don't know if I'm being foolish
Don't know if I'm being wise
But it's something that I must believe in
And it's there when I look in your eyes

Love is in the air
In the whisper of the trees
Love is in the air
In the thunder of the sea

And I don't know if I'm just dreaming
Don't know if I feel sane
And it's there when you call out my name

(Chorus)
Love is in the air
Love is in the air
Oh oh oh
Oh oh oh

Love is in the air
In the rising of the sun
Love is in the air
When the day is nearly done

And I don't know if you're an illusion
Don't know if I see it true
But you're something that I must believe in
And you're there when I reach out for you

Love is in the air
Every sight and every sound
And I don't know if I'm being foolish
Don't know if I'm being wise

And it's there when I look in your eyes

love-smiley-024.gif

:LOL:

Rob, you really need to read the thread and take it in

The OP is going through the b/regs process and is getting some info together.

They asked about foundations depth. They are not going to go out in the garden straight away and start digging after they get an answer in the thread - they want a bit of guidance/information

So, some nice guy posted "assume 1m if you are in normal ground"

Now to me, this is not a detailed specification or an instruction on how lay the foundations in the OP's locality

It sounds to me like it says "if you have normal ground then it would normally mean that foundations will be 1m deep". In turn this prompts the OP to think ... " OK, I have normal gound (my husband is a labourer so he knows what normal ground is) so I'll assume that we need to dig 1m and get the BCO to check it. I'll plan around this"

Or, the OP thinks "Hmmm, we don't seem to have normal ground, so I wonder what foundations I may need. I know, I'll post a follow-up question on www.DIYnot.com "

Jeezus, you must be hard work on site

Wish the engineers i worked with were as easy as you, how can you tell someone who obviously isnt too sure about foundations "1m". 1m what? width? depth? what about the type of concrete? Whats normal ground conditions? granular, cohesive, clay, sand?

i metre depth........ and c35 concrete.

http://www.hgtvpro.com/hpro/bp_foundation/article/0,2617,HPRO_20146_3834327,00.html[/QUOTE]

When you talk about 1 M depth, do you mean pour the concrete 1 meter deep?

When you talk about 1 M depth, do you mean pour the concrete 1 meter deep?

No. 1m deep refers to the depth of the trench. The depth of concrete can be as little as 225mm, but many builders prefer to mass fill as this saves on brick/block laying in trenches.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back