Building regs drawings - my attempt

If you look to the right of the garage doors you'll see the fence that currently blocks off a small yard before the outhouse and lean to that will form the extension. The porch will be a good foot behind the fence.

Attachments

• IMG_5094.PNG
    IMG_5094.PNG
    997.5 KB · Views: 194
Sponsored Links
Don't know if my wires are getting crossed here, but the porch is behind the front wall of the house. In fact any part of the front of the house. The outbuildings I intend to convert aren't attached to my house. It's a side extension that stops just under a meter from the front.

Sponsored Links
So you're adding something to the front of an outbuilding? Not your house? In which case it's NOT a porch!

Last edited:
This is where I think the confusion lies. Currently my house has a front door and a porch where we enter. This side extension is for the kitchen. I intend to stick an additional porch/entrance/boot room whatever you want to call it on the extension so we can go straight into the kitchen after dog walks instead of through the main hall/house.

It would be *much* clearer if you posted a set of original (1948), existing and proposed plans for the dwelling.

I don't think it is PD. You appear to be extending forward of the 'lean to'. If you are arguing that the lean to is not part of the original house, then you are extending over 50% to the side of the house.

Here are the floorplans as the house was sold to me 6 months ago - the lean to (just some timber and corrugated plastic roofing) joins the brick built WC shed (which I refer to outbuildings) to the house. They sit back approx 2 m back from the front of the house. The actual back wall of the W/C/shed is in line with the back wall of the kitchen floorplan.JPG

Struggling to see how your sketchup drawing relates to the house; assuming the garage in the sketchup is the same thing as the garage in the front of house pic?

There are a few odd artifacts in your sketchup, I'm presuming not actually intended to be built; you can use the move tool and grab the corner of the butterfly roof on the garage, and push the rectangle into a trapezoid shape to remove the butterfly, just as an FYI

Not sure why you're going for such a massively complicated roof; it will increase the costs you're so precious about far beyond the fee to make a proper planning app for something that will look far better and be more reliable.. Personal opinion it may be, but your sketchup drawing looks like a bit of a hodgepodge shanty town and would not be a sympathetic or aestetically pleasing addition to the house. Planning app to move the ridge of the garage forwards, lowering the pitch but keeping the height and extending it sideways to a point where a cut roof would come down to the boundary would be better

Struggling to see how your sketchup drawing relates to the house; assuming the garage in the sketchup is the same thing as the garage in the front of house pic?

Yes, the garage in the sketchup is the same as in the front of house photo

There are a few odd artifacts in your sketchup, I'm presuming not actually intended to be built; you can use the move tool and grab the corner of the butterfly roof on the garage, and push the rectangle into a trapezoid shape to remove the butterfly, just as an FYI

Brilliant! This is my first attempt at sketchup and I was amazed I could muster a rough idea of what I was thinking. Thanks for the tip - now fixed.... of sorts!

Not sure why you're going for such a massively complicated roof; it will increase the costs you're so precious about far beyond the fee to make a proper planning app for something that will look far better and be more reliable.. Personal opinion it may be, but your sketchup drawing looks like a bit of a hodgepodge shanty town and would not be a sympathetic or aestetically pleasing addition to the house. Planning app to move the ridge of the garage forwards, lowering the pitch but keeping the height and extending it sideways to a point where a cut roof would come down to the boundary would be better

I understand where you are coming from and appreciate your thoughts. There is one massive fly in the ointment for me regarding the roof structure. We have a very large stained glass window half way up the stairs which is directly over the flat garage roof. Literally sits 6 inches off it. Your idea of removing the pitched kitchen roof and then lowering the pitch (whilst keeping the height) and moving the ridge forward so it can be rebuilt to extend all the way to cover the flat garage roof, then extend out sideways to cover the side extension would be the one I'd have gone for had it not have been for this landing window. To be honest, that is the cause of a huge amount of headaches with this design. Would I get rid of the window?..... No, it is such a great feature in the house. I just have to work around and this is the best I can come up with.

Your thoughts are really appreciated

Attachments

• IMG_5140.JPG
    IMG_5140.JPG
    203 KB · Views: 140
There is nothing wrong with that roof design, its clear why it is like it is.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back