Building Regs for Alterations to an Existing Loft Conversion

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi guys, I'm wondering if anyone can help me please, as I can't find anything on the internet about building regs on alterations to existing loft conversions.
Basically our loft was converted 25-30 years ago and has a building regs certificate, so it was signed off when rules were more relaxed and definitely before fire regs came into play.
It definitely wouldn't pass according to current rules as I live in an open plan cottage with no fire route out of the house.
However, we want to extend the room out by turning the rear slanting roof into a shed dormer, so building into the current eaves, including a mini en-suite.
Does anyone know if we would need building regs for this and if so would they judge the whole loft conversion on modern regs?
Thanks in advance.
Dan

Sponsored Links
You would need Building Regs approval for the extended part as it would be a structural alteration, presumably a new roof? Essentially, the present day regs would be applied only to the new work. However, the open-plan layout downstairs might become an issue as an inspector could maintain that you are increasing the potential occupancy, thereby increasing fire risk.

It will depend on the impact of the new work on the old. Structural work tends to be confined to the new, unless some adaptation of the old is needed to support the new. But things like fire, safety, ventilation and some others apply to the whole building.

Thanks for the replies.
Indeed it is would add about 5m2 to the size of the loft bedroom, which isn't a great deal, but I guess there is every chance an inspector would deem the increased occupancy a fire risk.

Sponsored Links
Building regulations for loft conversions haven't changed that much over the last 30 years. If it is a 2 storey house with a loft conversion then I seem to recall an open plan layout to the ground floor would not have been acceptable then either. So it would seem someone has made some internal alterations to the property since the loft conversion was signed off.

The new loft dormer and associated alterations would need building regulations approval and I suspect the existing contravention of the means of escape would need correcting as technically by extending the loft conversion you would be making the contravention worse.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back