Building regs for dot and dab

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi all, looking for some info.

The plaster on one of my walls is blown. It's an external brick wall.

I'd like to pull all the plaster off then attach appropriately insulated plasterboard to the bricks, either with dot and dab or metal framing.

I've got a suspicion that there are building regs that affect what kind of PB you can attach to an external wall, or what kind of insulation you should use, or both - can anyone point me at them?

Thanks!

Sponsored Links
This is a minefield.

I am very, very concerned that this will be the case :)

What I would *love* to see is a link to a PDF spelling out exactly what is required that I can follow to the letter.

Or is there an argument for just chucking up some new insulated plasterboard on a frame and assuming no-one will query it? I really have no idea.

Cheers :D

Sponsored Links
Actually the dry-linning an internal wall is specifically mentioned in the regs and is actually one of the examples they use.

Have a looksee here: http://www.planningportal.gov.uk/uploads/br/BR_PDF_AD_L1B_2011.pdf page 17 5.7

So technically it is notifiable (ie you need to get Building Control approval for it) and you need to achieve a U Value of 0.30Wm²K, if we knew your existing wall construction we could state how thick your insulation needed to be in order to meet this value. Or you could use the online Celotex U Value calculator to do it yourself.

Or you could just whack say 50mm insulated plasterboard on and not worry about it! :p

Though you could take some photos before, during and after (and include a photo of tape measure showing the thickness of the insulation) so that you have a record of what you did if you ever wanted to get retrospective approval in the future.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back