Building regs for stud walls

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Hi, Ive just been reading form TA6 which has to be completed when selling a property in which it asks :
Have any of the following changes been made to the whole
or any part of the property (including the garden)?
(a) Building works (e.g. extension, loft or garage Yes No conversion, removal of internal walls). If Yes, please
give details including dates of all work undertaken:

As we are about to undertake moving the position of some internal stud walls to form additional ensuite , is this what the above means by "removal of internal walls" or dont studs count?
Thanks
litl

Sponsored Links
The last time I checked my internal walls they were formed with studwork. Or maybe come to think of it they're not walls after all but some other kind of space dividing devices?

Sponsored Links
If I move my glass of gin from one side of the table to the other, has it been removed?

Hang on, nope it's still there. o_O

No I moved it. It's still on the table.

Well I did initially move it, but now it's been removed because it is no longer there.

yes but you could always say yes you seeded some grass seeds in your garden, and as for walls, the house is as it was when purchased, if you don't tell them how will they find out, if any walls have moved or removed, people buying houses buy them as they are seen, they should not ask if there was a wall there or not. If they don't like they can move on. You make improvements to your home for a good reason, not because it is going to hinder your sale, there are millions waiting to buy houses for cash. No questions asked, no survey carried out. Of course if you do have a loft conversion, the buyer don't need to ask that does he, can he not see it? aren't things getting a bit pathetic these days like the EPC, what difference does getting an EPC makes to the energy consumption? Where I live, if I were to put my ****ty house on the market, it would be gone before the boards for sale go up.

Last edited:
Whether walls are moved/removed/repositioned, could it affect Building Regs with regard to ventilation/means of escape etc?
Or am I missing something on this thread?

Of course if they were load bearing walls, you wouldn't remove them without taking other important measures, such as placing beams to support other structure,
and removing wall can only make your escape and ventilation even better Tony, what i meant to say was that alterations to some internal parts of the house are not necessarily a building regulation concern, and or hindrance to selling a property, if I saw a property on market and I was interested in one, I would view it and if I liked it, I get it surveyed, it is the surveyor's job to define if any walls have been relocated or removed and structure has become unstable, or a structural wall was removed without adequate support, in which case it would be of some concern and sale may not go ahead. Non structural walls can be moved or even removed and I see hundreds of owners getting theirs knocked out to create bigger spaces, like opening a narrow passage and incorporating it with the room and making it into open plan layout, where no structural support is involved.

A good surveyor would pick out weak points in a building, and should not rely on seller declaring on a form which wall has been moved or removed.
Alterations to a garden, yes uprooted weeds and planted some roses. Constructed a plant boarder. lobbed a tree off. ( yes a tree can effect foundation if too close)

Last edited:
Freddy, you definitely make a good surveyor, how did you know that I didn't drink anything last night?

Could a stud wall also be structural?

(I had a bottle of Bacardi last night)

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back