Building regs re steel beam size

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I have a table for sizing the beam required to span a wall to be removed. one of the criteria is type of masonry? dense masonry, medium masonry and lightweight masonry. For the type of load the beam is going to carry. The wall to be supported by the steel beam is Thermolite 4inch plastered on both sides I Think it would be classified as medium density ....Any body out there know for sure??? The span is 2.5 metres and no floor is carried on this wall.

JT

Sponsored Links
Thermalite is lightweight block - so lightweight masonry, definitely.

Sponsored Links
Thanks Gentlemen
for the info, I appreciate the block itself is light weight but was not sure if it became medium density when Plastered on both sides!!
when you lift a block with render and pink on either side it is much heavier!.
but thanks, I want to sort out the building notice myself, its not a big job but want to do it by the book.
Jt

Just check Hansons web page for more tech info on the blocks.. but Thermalite 7s have a dry density of around 730kg/m³.. then use that to calc the actual line loading on the beam..

But if the opening is just for lightweight block none load bearing partition loading with no floor or roof load.. i wouldnt worry too much about tiny details..

I have a table for sizing the beam required to span a wall to be removed. .........

JT

JT - any chance you could let me have the table or let me know where you got it from? I'm about to look at removing some brickwork that will require a beam.

A table is all well and good but any structural alterations will require details/calculations submitted to BC.

I have a table for sizing the beam required to span a wall to be removed. one of the criteria is type of masonry? dense masonry, medium masonry and lightweight masonry. For the type of load the beam is going to carry. The wall to be supported by the steel beam is Thermolite 4inch plastered on both sides I Think it would be classified as medium density ....Any body out there know for sure??? The span is 2.5 metres and no floor is carried on this wall.

JT

The usual methodolgy is to calculate the load of all elements. i.e. the plaster and block would be calc'ed separately. Have you checked to make sure there is no roof load on that supported wall?

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back