Building regs, removing external door and adding another?

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
I'm getting mixed messages about this from people, I've known people do it on the street without, yet people are telling me I need it.
Only reason I'm asking is because I'm trying to do a complete house renovation and if I can avoid reg fees.
However, I noticed a thread on here about someone stating insurance will be void if a home doesn't comply...

So, at the back of the living room is a large window. And at the side of the kitchen a backdoor. Don't see much point in backdoors, and removing it will add a decent amount of space to make the small kitchen larger. So I'd like to block it up. However with the large window to the back of the living room, I'll be replacing with patio doors.

The only other alteration I'll be making, would be internally. So as you walk directly in to the front door, on the immediate right is a door to the living room. Walk in the front door and head straight forward, you make your way to the kitchen. In the kitchen, on the right there was once a door that led to the living room that's already been blocked up years ago. I'd like to switch these internal doors around. Block up the one by the front door, and open up the old one in the kitchen to the living room. Would this be possible without regs?
Hope that makes sense... Cheers.

Sponsored Links
Sponsored Links
I'm terrible at explaining things. I always try over explain stuff to the paint that I just ramble on.
To keep it brief. I'm looking to block up an external door in the kitchen and add a patio door to the back of the property.

Internally, I'm looking to brick up a doorway and add another off the kitchen.

I knocked up some foorplans awhile back.

Here's the floorplan of the house right now:
https://imgur.com/a/SwJpG

Here's what I'm hoping to do, note the kitchen seems slightly larger because I'll be knocking the none supporting pantry from under the stairs. When I made this 'floorplan', having a patio door and blocking up the external kitchen door wasn't on the cards. Now it is, so the side external door will be bricked up and the large window to the back of the living room will be patio doors:
https://imgur.com/a/dyZQP

You will be making the kitchen worse in terms of useable and circualtion space with that door to the lounge, and it may put buyers off in the future, but thats up to you really.

The bigger issue though is that you will effectively have the stairs in the kitchen, which is a high risk area for fires. You wont be affecting the means of escape, and it wont need approval for this, but you would be wise to think about early warning via a heat alarm in the kitchen are and smoke alarm in the hall area - plus one upstairs on the landing.

The patio door work should need building regulation approval, as should that door between the kitchen and lounge if joists are resting on that partition wall.

With regards to insurance and uncertified work, this would only affect the insurance if the work had an impact on the risk or outcome of any insurance event. ie if you fitted a normal door where there should be a fire door, then your insurer may deem you altered the risk, and not pay out. That's an example, you dont need fire doors if this is not a three storey house or flat.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Back