Building regs - what a beuracratic joke

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
After doing research for putting in a wood burner I decided to literally print out part J of the building regs and read it slowly in my own time.

It looks like a GCSE mock exam paper - they just sow up everything to be as complex as it can be.

Why do they use such dumb grammar? It's pathetic.

"chimneys should be constructed of suitable masonary"

Really ...no sh*t I was going to use mild cheese to build mine with.

The diagrams...? did they use the drawing software on a ripped of copy of microsoft word? box + arrow + line, jeeze what a mess.

"liners should be installed in accordance with their manufactures instructions" ....really I wasn't going to use anything you bunch of simpletons.

I know there is nothing we can actually do other than go along with this but does anyone else feel it's all a load of crap of is it just be?

Sponsored Links
You'd be surprised at how 'gullible' folks can be.

If you think you can come up with text or plain English that encompasses all that is needed to describe the building of a chimney, don't hesitate to offer your grammatical skills.

Prey, do bare in mind that you can be sued and that your grammar has to be descriptive of the task in hand and not to be interpreted as 'something else'.:cool:

Pray, do bear in mind that you can be sued and that your grammar has to be descriptive of the task in hand and not to be interpreted as 'something else'.:cool:
Masticating :eek:

Good effort sticking up for the establishment there, don't get me wrong I'm not critising the need for regulation - I'm critising the nature of the publication know as Part (J). there's no logic or layout to it it skips freeely from one aspect to another and then goes back and refers to other parts several sectiuons back.

Why don't they just have a section for gasor solid and then sub sections there after. and have proper diagrams witha bit of illustration rather than arrows and boxes to denote buildings and chimneys.

I think after reading this document half the building work and stove installations that there are are in fact "uncontrolled" i.e no one has deliberately applied for BC.

You have to ask why? is it the people spending hard earned money on there dwellings wishing to save £180 or are they simply put off by the out-of-control complex beuracracy?

Sponsored Links
All the regs have been added to for years and need completely revamping, get over it!

You have to ask why? is it the people spending hard earned money on there dwellings wishing to save £180 or are they simply put off by the out-of-control complex beuracracy?
If you'd actually spoken to BC you'd find that they're normally very helpful, will meet with you and guide you through anything you don't understand before you even make an application.

He should not need to talk to BC, the regulation should tell him everything he needs to know.

Obviously it does not.

No I disagree, the regulations are a set of documents designed to be interpreted by professionals, they are not aimed at homeowners per se. As has already been mentioned the regulations need updating to make them more user friendly and again as has already been mentioned certain regs are complicated as by their very nature they are describing complicated aspects of building.

I disagree with you there Freddy.

The regs are NOT documents designed to be interpreted by professionals.
The regs are documents that apply to ALL and as such should be able to be read by ALL.

If the regs documents are the equivelent of the legal acts then they should be readable & usable by anyone that they apply to, otherwise they should not apply to them :D

It is well know that BC will make often up stuff to suit themselves, each dept having different needs in different parts of the counrty (as has been shown on here many times over) and the recourse being that the applicant has the regs to fall on to prove otherwise, just like I'd have the act of parliament to fall on should I be prosecuted for using a mobile phone in the car while I'm parked with the keys in my pocket. :D

It would certainly help if the docs were updated & passed through the pwain Engrish bwigade... :D :D

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back