Building regulations and roofs

Reaction score
Country
United Kingdom
Can you help with a novice question?

Do I need to make a building regulations application to re-tile a roof, even if replacing like for like?

From what I can glean on the web, the answer seems to be that this used not to be the case, but now an application must be made because of new regulations about renovating thermal elements.

Is this right? Will it vary from council to council or be the same across the country?

Ta.

Sponsored Links
I think you are correct, you didn't have to in the past, but now you do. The building regs cover the whole of the country so it wont matter which council is your local authority - you'll still have to apply.

I think you are correct, you didn't have to in the past, but now you do. The building regs cover the whole of the country so it wont matter which council is your local authority - you'll still have to apply.

Thanks. I rang the local building regs people and they confirmed.

Another question (sorry): roofer didn't apply for building regs, says he didn't know about the change.

I know, I'm stupid and should have checked this out myself, but this roofer is experienced and two people known to me recommended him, so I assumed he knew the ins and outs of it all.

Is the best bet to apply for regularisation? Will they put me in jail??

As far as I can see they will only be interested in the insulation side of things, so shouldn't be too dreadful. I hope.

Sigh. I knew everything had gone too smoothly.

If anyone else is interested in this issue, this article is quite helpful:

http://www.fmb.org.uk/information-a...er/2008/october-2008/regulars/?entryid22=3595

Sponsored Links
Leave it.

It can be regularised at any time in the future if the need arises, otherwise forget about it.

:oops: I have to admit that I would have told the OP the same as well ie it didn't need an application, as there was no change in loading.

I can't quite see the point of this Part L tomfoolery.

:oops: I have to admit that I would have told the OP the same as well ie it didn't need an application, as there was no change in loading.

I can't quite see the point of this Part L tomfoolery.

I think the point is to confuse people and make money for local councils!

I was talking to a top BCO not long ago about the replacement thermal element issue (roofs, plaster etc) and he was telling me quite enthusiastically how all these would require an application etc.

"How many applications have you had?" I asked "Looking at all the work going on around here. This must be making you quite busy?"

"Oh, err ..... one or two .... I think" was his reply!

The 25% rule will be overlooked, ignored and mostly greeted with a confused shrug of the shoulders from all but the most diligent of builders and home owners.

However, for those of us that are aware, we can only advise the client and make them aware. 'Tis up to the homeowner to apply.

The 25% rule will be overlooked, ignored and mostly greeted with a confused shrug of the shoulders from all but the most diligent of builders and home owners.

However, for those of us that are aware, we can only advise the client and make them aware. 'Tis up to the homeowner to apply.

I'm inclined to apply to be honest. I have the financial flexibilty to pay for it and sort out anything that needs to be done. If I leave it and it comes up at a later date when I need to sell, it might not be so easy as finances may be much tighter.

I'll have to think about it. I'm a bit worried that I'll be dropping the roofer in it though, he's a decent chap and did a really good job (as far as I can tell).

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back