Building regulations and roofs

The roofer has no obligation.

The homeowner is liable.

Yeah, but doesn't responsibility for achieving compliance rest with the builder/roofer/whoever is carrying out the work? So theoretically, they could be prosecuted for carrying out work without having the necessary clearance? That's what the article I linked to indicates.

But I guess this would be unlikely, so I'm sure the roofer will be OK.

Sponsored Links
When did this come into force?

April 2006 saw major changes to the Conservation of Fuel & Power (energy conservation) requirements of the Building Regulations with a revised Part L. A small but significant part of these revisions was the requirement for “Renovation of Thermal Elements.”

Yeah, but doesn't responsibility for achieving compliance rest with the builder/roofer/whoever is carrying out the work? So theoretically, they could be prosecuted for carrying out work without having the necessary clearance? That's what the article I linked to indicates.

No, the responsibility for applying for permissions and ensuring that compliance is made, always rests with the homeowner.

The homeowner's only recourse would be to sue the roofer for negligence, based on the fact that it may be incumbent on him (as a professional tradesperson or firm) to be aware of necessary regulations applicable to the work he does.

In which case the roofer then alleges that the homeowner was made aware of the regulations, offered the extra work, but refused it based on cost - and the roofer was told to "just carry on" by the homeowner

Cue Baaaaaanazisheds and his accusations for doing the work despite not complying :rolleyes:

Jellycat, take the advice of the sensible BCO (Mikric) and just stay schtumm. It won't ever come up as an issue at sale time.

Sponsored Links
Thanks for all the advice, folks.

Think I'll wait a while and see if anything happens. There must be loads of people in the same position if there's a lack of awareness about this bit of the building regs, my roofer alone must have done dozens of roofs that should have had applications.

Still wish I'd realised beforehand though. Ah well, you live and learn and all that.

There are probably dozens of homes up and down the country right now having the rendering hacked off. I would bet that there aren't many spreads advising the homeowner to fit inso' boards (where necessary of course) prior to rendering.

We as builders deal with b.c. frequently and receive updates from them on a regular basis. This is the only reason i know about the 25% rule.

Singular trades such as roofers and plasterers don't necessarily deal with b.c. on such a regular basis, mainly because a main contractor, a foreman or the homeowner is overseeing the job and dealing the inspections.

About six months ago a leaflet was posted through letterboxes in our area describing this very regulation, entitled "Repairs ans Refurbishment Work to External Walls, Roofs and floors".

Renovation of a thermal element

A thermal element is a roof, wall or floor which separates a thermally conditioned (heated or cooled) space from any of the following:

* the outside (including the ground)
* an unheated part of the same building
* a structure exempt from the building regulations, such as porch or conservatory
* part of the same building heated or cooled to a different temperature

Renovation of a thermal element means adding a new layer to a thermal element or the replacement of an existing layer. When the renovation is to be more than 25% of the element concerned, Building Regulations approval will be required prior to carrying out the work and the thermal element may require upgrading to provide more insulation.

The consequence of this change is that much building work, previously exempt from the Building Regulations as it was considered a repair, may now require approval.

For example:

* replacement of a slate or tiled roof covering even if like for like!
* re-plastering of a wall
* replacement of felt on a flat roof
* renewal of a ceiling below a cold loft space
* external rendering or re-rendering of a wall
* renewal of cladding to a dormer
* renovation of a ground floor involving replacement of screed or timber decking

It is a contravention of the Building Regulations not to submit an application for building work such as indicated above. This could lead to a prosecution and a fine for the person carrying out the work, and may cause problems if the property is subsequently sold.

with regards to increasing of insulation levels to the roof this can be carried out internal to the pitched roof by a number of different methods, spray foam, insulation bats, foam boarding, multi foils etc. if the roof is now complete and the workmanship is good this option would be the most cost effective way to comply with part l but as previously stated unless some one reports you generally no one will know that it did not comply and just assume you have had a repair carried out. but for your own piece of mind and your energy bills the cost of the insulation will pay you back quite quickly and if you are going to do it then inform the building control and you can then sleep weel knowing everything is right.

with regards to increasing of insulation levels to the roof this can be carried out internal to the pitched roof by a number of different methods, spray foam, insulation bats, foam boarding, multi foils etc. if the roof is now complete and the workmanship is good this option would be the most cost effective way to comply with part l but as previously stated unless some one reports you generally no one will know that it did not comply and just assume you have had a repair carried out. but for your own piece of mind and your energy bills the cost of the insulation will pay you back quite quickly and if you are going to do it then inform the building control and you can then sleep weel knowing everything is right.

Cheers kaeford.

I looked up the regs and it seems to be all about the level of insulation in the loft, not the thermal qualities of the materials used to re-roof the house, so as you say, it would seem not a particularly difficult or expensive thing to sort out.

DIYnot Local

Staff member

If you need to find a tradesperson to get your job done, please try our local search below, or if you are doing it yourself you can find suppliers local to you.

Select the supplier or trade you require, enter your location to begin your search.

Are you a trade or supplier? You can create your listing free at DIYnot Local

Sponsored Links
Back